POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Include an image into a scene Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Include an image into a scene (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Daniel Marthaler
Subject: Include an image into a scene
Date: 18 Mar 1999 06:19:15
Message: <36f0e133.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
is it possible to include an image into a scene in povray?
For example, if I had some kind of a company logo, I would like to put it on
a polygon and apply something like a sine_wave. In combination with an
animation, a waveing flag could be created (i found this in the tutorial of
the povray documentation - Title: "The Phase Keyword).
Additional question: how can the edges of the flag be made waveing? (not
just the textture).

Thanks for any help and/or hints where to find additional documentation on
this topic.

Daniel

Post a reply to this message

Check out image-mapping in the documentation.

Mapping to a waving flag will be more complicated though. Not possible
without a lot of work in standard POV, but you might want to check Nathan's
UVPov Patch, that allows such mapping (aside from the new specular/caustics
possibilities).

http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

Greetings,
Johannes.

Daniel Marthaler wrote in message <36f0e133.0@news.povray.org>...
>Hi,
>is it possible to include an image into a scene in povray?
>For example, if I had some kind of a company logo, I would like to put it
on
>a polygon and apply something like a sine_wave. In combination with an
>animation, a waveing flag could be created (i found this in the tutorial of
>the povray documentation - Title: "The Phase Keyword).
>Additional question: how can the edges of the flag be made waveing? (not
>just the textture).
>
>Thanks for any help and/or hints where to find additional documentation on
>this topic.
>
>Daniel

Post a reply to this message

> is it possible to include an image into a scene in povray?
> For example, if I had some kind of a company logo, I would like to put it on
> a polygon and apply something like a sine_wave. In combination with an
> animation, a waveing flag could be created (i found this in the tutorial of
> the povray documentation - Title: "The Phase Keyword).
> Additional question: how can the edges of the flag be made waveing? (not
> just the textture).
>
> Thanks for any help and/or hints where to find additional documentation on
> this topic.
>
> Daniel

  I am pretty sure that somewhere on this server is the source code
for an animated flag. It will be in either povray:

 .animations, .binaries.animations, .scene-files, or .binaries.scene-files.

I downloaded it once but can't find it on my drives here and don't recall
the author. A little persistant searching should uncover it though.
It was definitely well worth looking at.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> is it possible to include an image into a scene in povray?
> For example, if I had some kind of a company logo, I would like to put it on
> a polygon and apply something like a sine_wave. In combination with an
> animation, a waveing flag could be created (i found this in the tutorial of
> the povray documentation - Title: "The Phase Keyword).
> Additional question: how can the edges of the flag be made waveing? (not
> just the textture).
>
> Thanks for any help and/or hints where to find additional documentation on
> this topic.
>
> Daniel

  I found it. Look in povray.text.scene-files a message posted by grim dude.
Thread title The Waving Flag Source... See the reply by Micha which contains
the source and an animated gif at the bottom of the message to wee what it'
looks like. The message was posted  Tue, 13 Jan 1998.