POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A Lighting Question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  A Lighting Question (Message 30 to 39 of 39)
From: povray org admin team
Subject: Re: A Lighting Question
Date: 19 Jan 1999 06:42:47
Message: <36a56fc4.12677828@news.povray.org>
Why don't you organise (organize) things such that the first time someone posts
to this server, they get the VFAQ mailed to them ? As long as it's only once it
shouldn't be an issue (if it's big then perhaps only mail them the location).

This would have to be done at least partially manually due to despammed email
addresses, but the rest could be automated.

Post a reply to this message

povray.org admin team <new### [at] despampovrayorg> wrote:
: This would have to be done at least partially manually due to despammed email
: addresses, but the rest could be automated.

  I think they have despammed their email address for a reason... I think
it would be a good idea to respect it.

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message

> Why don't you organise (organize) things such that the first time someone posts
> to this server, they get the VFAQ mailed to them ? As long as it's only once it
> shouldn't be an issue (if it's big then perhaps only mail them the location).
>
> This would have to be done at least partially manually due to despammed email
> addresses, but the rest could be automated.
Is there a possibility to setup a Greeting script on the news server, that replies to
the
FIRST message someone sends with the VFAQ address???
The sender could then be stored in a database or something so it won't be replied to
again....

I'm not at all sure if it'll work, since I don't have a clue on how to run a news
server..

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 19 Jan 1999 15:31:57
Message: <36A4EB33.3BDF1BE0@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> povray.org admin team <new### [at] despampovrayorg> wrote:
> : This would have to be done at least partially manually due to despammed email
> : addresses, but the rest could be automated.
>
>   I think they have despammed their email address for a reason... I think
> it would be a good idea to respect it.
>
> --
> main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
> *_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

How about a public announcement once a month on .general,
, .windows , .newusers, and .moray indicating the availability
of the VFAQ. This would probably be enough to get it's presence
advertized without private invasion and still reach a lot of
the ocassional visitors.

Just a thought.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 20 Jan 1999 00:41:17
Message: <36A52653.D96DD762@pipeline.com>
Ken Tyler wrote:
> How about a public announcement once a month on .general,
> , .windows , .newusers, and .moray indicating the availability
> of the VFAQ. This would probably be enough to get it's presence
> advertized without private invasion and still reach a lot of
> the ocassional visitors.

That's done in other newsgroups, and as one who is often ignorant, it's
great to see an announcement about a FAQ, but in many busy newsgroups
such announcements roll out of view too soon for anyone to see.

There really ought to be some standard way for everone to find out about
FAQs, like a new internet protocol
faq://www.how-to-change-a-light-bulb.com,  or specialized search
engines.   The problem would be solved if everyone were smart enough to
go to Alta Vista and search for "+FAQ +somefavoritesubject"  but this
isn't so.  Some genius will think of something...

Still, a monthly or weekly announcement is better than a kick in the
butt.

--
Daren Scot Wilson
dar### [at] pipelinecom

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 21 Jan 1999 11:03:49
Message: <36a85021.30528890@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote:

>povray.org admin team <new### [at] despampovrayorg> wrote:
>: This would have to be done at least partially manually due to despammed email
>: addresses, but the rest could be automated.
>
>  I think they have despammed their email address for a reason... I think
>it would be a good idea to respect it.

People despam email addresses to stop spammers, not us. If they don't want
email -at all- then they simply don't include any email address. At least, that
makes sense to me. It may not do so to you.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bryan M  Smith
Date: 21 Jan 1999 19:58:17
Message: <36A7CD0E.9C14692B@teleport.com>
What does the C code do in your sig.??

Nieminen Mika wrote:

> In povray.newusers Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> : I've seen some questions pop up here more then once, I've also seen different
> : answers to questions. That's why I like to keep reading the solutions to
> : problems I think are already solved a zillion times and learning new stuff once
> : in a while.
>
>   That's a good point...
>
> : Perhaps you could simply change your sig and add the VFAQ-URL so you could reply
> : to each question with an empty message? That might add to the obfuscatedness of
> : the message ;-)
>
>   I want to answer with the _exact_ location to the answer (ie. with the
> #-parameter after the url).
>   And besides, do you know how much work I did to type that sig? I'm not
> changing it! ;)
>
>   Perhaps I'll make some day the same thing with pov-code instead of C...
>
> --
> main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
> *_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

--
Bryan M. Smith
bms### [at] teleportcom

|For a good prime, call: 391581 * 2^216193 -1               |
|The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash,  |
|it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.    |

From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 22 Jan 1999 08:36:12
Message: <36a87ecc.0@news.povray.org>
In povray.newusers Bryan M. Smith <bms### [at] teleportcom> wrote:
: What does the C code do in your sig.??

  It prints:

 []      []  [][][]  [][][]  [][][]
 []      [] []    [] []   [] []   []
 []      [] []    [] []   [] []   []
 []  []  [] [][][][] [][][]  [][][]
  [] [] []  []    [] [] []   []
  [][][][]  []    [] []  []  []
   []  []   []    [] []   [] []

From: Neil Mercer
Date: 27 Apr 1999 23:43:04
Message: <372675b8.0@news.povray.org>
OK,

    As the person who seems to have kicked all this off by asking what I
thought was a relatively simple question (which the responses have shown it
was) I thought I would throw my 2c back into the mill.

    If I had known of the existence of the VFAQ then I wouldn't have asked
the question... I would have gone there instead, but I didn't so I did (does
that make sense to anyone?).  So I think really the problem is that the
existence of the VFAQ is not as widely known as it should be, especially to
people like me who are new to the newsgroup.

    There....

    Neil.

P.S. Thanks to those who responded with thoughts and ideas... although I
haven't got back to that project yet, I can see that it'll help a lot.

Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 28 Apr 1999 00:22:33
Message: <37267DE1.B74E5389@pacbell.net>
Neil Mercer wrote:

>     If I had known of the existence of the VFAQ then I wouldn't have asked
> the question... I would have gone there instead, but I didn't so I did (does
> that make sense to anyone?).  So I think really the problem is that the
> existence of the VFAQ is not as widely known as it should be, especially to
> people like me who are new to the newsgroup.
>
>     There....
>
>     Neil.

 The fact that it is not widely known is not true. There was an entire
newsgroup formed just so that it would be know. Look at the newsgroup
formed on this server called:

povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions

  This came about specificaly to let new people to these groups know
where to find important information. The VFAQ I believe is the first
enrty in that group and would be one of the first things a person new
to this server should look at.
 The steps have been taken to get this information out to the people.
It's up to the people to do the right thing and look for it in the
appropriate forums.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net