POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help! I'm stuck! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Help! I'm stuck! (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Spectere
Subject: Help! I'm stuck!
Date: 10 Dec 1998 19:32:49
Message: <3670685F.2ED0E107@happypuppy.com>
Hi all!  I'm new to this board, and it appears to have some pretty smart
people (if you want smart answers, don't go to some Quake players.
hehe)

Anyways, back on POV-Ray.  See, I'm having this weird problem.  For some
reason, when I want to make "land" with a plane, all the plane does is
point straight up!  Now when I edit in Quake (a really popular game), X
is across your monitor (from left to right) Y is forward and back (from
your perspective) and Z is up and down.  Is it like this in POV-Ray or
am I going insane?  Is there any way I can change it to be "Quake-like"?

[>-<|>Spectere<|>-<]

Post a reply to this message

> Hi all!  I'm new to this board, and it appears to have some pretty smart
> people (if you want smart answers, don't go to some Quake players.
> hehe)
>
> Anyways, back on POV-Ray.  See, I'm having this weird problem.  For some
> reason, when I want to make "land" with a plane, all the plane does is
> point straight up!  Now when I edit in Quake (a really popular game), X
> is across your monitor (from left to right) Y is forward and back (from
> your perspective) and Z is up and down.  Is it like this in POV-Ray or
> am I going insane?  Is there any way I can change it to be "Quake-like"?

It is like that in Moray, a visual based modeller for POVray.. this is a
righthanded system, and is, of course, FAR superior to the left handed
system, which POV uses by default :)

The Lefthanded system is documented in the manual. Though, once you know one
system, it is next to impossible to try and convert

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Post a reply to this message

Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
: this is a righthanded system, and is, of course, FAR superior to the left
: handed : system, which POV uses by default :)

  Why?

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message

> Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
> : this is a righthanded system, and is, of course, FAR superior to the left
> : handed : system, which POV uses by default :)
>
>   Why?

Because *I* know how to use it, unlike the Left handed system. >:)

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Post a reply to this message

Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote:
:>   Why?

: Because *I* know how to use it, unlike the Left handed system. >:)

  Well, I am more accustomed to the povray default coordinate system, and
I really hate moray because you can't change the handedness. I always get
very confused when I have to use moray (you can't make bezier pathces by
hand...).