POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Say it isn't so! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Say it isn't so! (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Dave Mann
Subject: Say it isn't so!
Date: 30 Nov 1998 13:51:35
Message: <3662e937.0@news.povray.org>
I have begun on my first POV-RAY rendering and seem to be at an impasse
An element I wish to use involved concentrating some spotlights on a highly
reflective sphere. The spotlights more than illuminate the sphere, but the
light does not bounce off of the sphere. Checking the documentation, I
happened upon this very sad passage:

"POV-Ray and most other ray-tracers can only simulate directly light which
comes directly from actual light sources. Light coming from other objects
such as mirrors via specular reflection (such as shining a flashlight onto a
mirror for example) cannot be simulated."

Does this mean no Disco Mirror Balls? No bouncing lasers off mirrors? No
scattering light of broken mirror shards?

Have I missed something very simple, or is the sad truth that light really
can't be reflected off of reflective surfaces?

Thanks,
-Dave

Post a reply to this message

Whine, moan, complain. Yes it is true. Be glad it is so
for your images would take not minutes or hours but
days and months to calculate all of the additional reflected
rays in a scene. It's kinda sad as you point out but most
people are happy with the current system and the time
is saves in the process.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> Whine, moan, complain. Yes it is true. Be glad it is so
> for your images would take not minutes or hours but
> days and months to calculate all of the additional reflected
> rays in a scene. It's kinda sad as you point out but most
> people are happy with the current system and the time
> is saves in the process.
>
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message