POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Say it isn't so! : Say it isn't so! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Say it isn't so!
From: Dave Mann
Date: 30 Nov 1998 13:51:35
Message: <3662e937.0@news.povray.org>
I have begun on my first POV-RAY rendering and seem to be at an impasse
An element I wish to use involved concentrating some spotlights on a highly
reflective sphere. The spotlights more than illuminate the sphere, but the
light does not bounce off of the sphere. Checking the documentation, I
happened upon this very sad passage:

"POV-Ray and most other ray-tracers can only simulate directly light which
comes directly from actual light sources. Light coming from other objects
such as mirrors via specular reflection (such as shining a flashlight onto a
mirror for example) cannot be simulated."

Does this mean no Disco Mirror Balls? No bouncing lasers off mirrors? No
scattering light of broken mirror shards?

Have I missed something very simple, or is the sad truth that light really
can't be reflected off of reflective surfaces?

Thanks,
-Dave