POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : povray with moray using win7 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:56:20 EDT (-0400)
  povray with moray using win7 (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: peter puzzelaar
Subject: Re: povray with moray using win7
Date: 8 Apr 2012 15:00:02
Message: <web.4f81dfe99ffdc0e547437ba70@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 10:18 AM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
> > I recall from memory that Moray 3.5 is able to start up Povray 3.5.
> > But it seems to me that this point is moot, since Povray 3.5 cannot render any
> > file by itself (under my Win7).
>
> Okay one step at a time.
> Can you open Povray.ini and pvengin.ini from the tools menu?
> When you start Pov 3.5 are they any relevant messages in the message window?
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

I got the distinct feeling, some of my responses are getting lost...

I can open (edit) both of these files
And at startup the messages window does not show anything noteworthy.

Regards, Peter.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 8 Apr 2012 15:10:36
Message: <4f81e2ac$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/04/2012 7:58 PM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
> I got the distinct feeling, some of my responses are getting lost...

Sorry Peter I have been waiting for a response to a reply I sent hours
ago. I will repeat it now.

On 08/04/2012 11:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
 > I have a laptop that does not have PovRay on it. I will download 3.5 and
 > see what happens.

Okay, I did that thing and got the same results as you.
I got Pov 3.5 working by going into the icon's properties and ticking
the disable visual themes box in the compatibility tab. It might be
better to do it to pvengine.exe

Do the same for Moray also set the compatibility to Win XP SP 3

I am sure that this will help but if not post again

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 08/04/2012 7:58 PM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
> > I got the distinct feeling, some of my responses are getting lost...
> >

> Sorry Peter I have been waiting for a response to a reply I sent hours
> ago. I will repeat it now.
>
> On 08/04/2012 11:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
>  > I have a laptop that does not have PovRay on it. I will download 3.5 and
>  > see what happens.
>
> Okay, I did that thing and got the same results as you.
> I got Pov 3.5 working by going into the icon's properties and ticking
> the disable visual themes box in the compatibility tab. It might be
> better to do it to pvengine.exe
>
> Do the same for Moray also set the compatibility to Win XP SP 3
>
> I am sure that this will help but if not post again
>

> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

Will try it, u hear from me asap...

Regards, Peter

Post a reply to this message

> On 08/04/2012 7:58 PM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
> > I got the distinct feeling, some of my responses are getting lost...
> >

> Sorry Peter I have been waiting for a response to a reply I sent hours
> ago. I will repeat it now.
>
> On 08/04/2012 11:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
>  > I have a laptop that does not have PovRay on it. I will download 3.5 and
>  > see what happens.
>
> Okay, I did that thing and got the same results as you.
> I got Pov 3.5 working by going into the icon's properties and ticking
> the disable visual themes box in the compatibility tab. It might be
> better to do it to pvengine.exe
>
> Do the same for Moray also set the compatibility to Win XP SP 3
>
> I am sure that this will help but if not post again
>

> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

Stephen,

In short: that simply worked! Rendering scenes files now works with POV3.5
together with Win7.
You'r the greatest.

I haven't tried it with Moray, but i see no problems ahead on that road anymore.
Just went straight back to this site to tell the good news.

Thanks buddy, long time since i've seen such perseverenced help.

Regards, Peter

P.S. will update this thread with final findings

Post a reply to this message

On 08/04/2012 8:27 PM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> In short: that simply worked! Rendering scenes files now works with POV3.5
> together with Win7.

I am so pleased.

> You'r the greatest.

Oh dear! That means that I can't get any greater. I am so dissapointed. ;-)

> I haven't tried it with Moray, but i see no problems ahead on that road anymore.
> Just went straight back to this site to tell the good news.

I appreciate it. It makes it worthwhile.

> Thanks buddy, long time since i've seen such perseverenced help.

To be truthful, it is not uncommon here,

> Regards, Peter
>
> P.S. will update this thread with final findings

Please do and remember there is a thread specifically for Moray related
things. It is http://news.povray.org/moray.win/
There has not been many posts over the last few years but Thomas and a
few others keep an eye on it. And this group is probably not the best
one to post on. There is also http://news.povray.org/povray.general/
for general discussion.
http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/ for beginners and you will get
more detailed answers.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/ for posting images

And you can join us at http://news.povray.org/povray.off-topic/ to chew
the fat.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Apr 2012 03:01:38
Message: <4f828952$1@news.povray.org>
On 8-4-2012 22:24, Stephen wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 8:27 PM, peter puzzelaar wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> In short: that simply worked! Rendering scenes files now works with
>> POV3.5
>> together with Win7.
>
> I am so pleased.
>
>> You'r the greatest.
>>
> Oh dear! That means that I can't get any greater. I am so dissapointed. ;-)

Henceforward, you have been designated by majority consensus as the
leading trouble shooter on this issue :-)

On a more serious note: I should reinstall Moray in the near future.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Apr 2012 05:28:06
Message: <4f82aba6@news.povray.org>
On 09/04/2012 8:01 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>> Oh dear! That means that I can't get any greater. I am so
>> dissapointed. ;-)
>
> Henceforward, you have been designated by majority consensus as the
> leading trouble shooter on this issue :-)

Is that a consensus of one? ;-)
Anyway it has been almost 6 years since I have used Moray. So I am not
the best person to be the guru.

> On a more serious note: I should reinstall Moray in the near future.

Why? You are doing well enough without it.
I need it or Bishop3D to help me visualise and build the scene. Without
an import function it becomes less useful as PovRay SDL moves away from
earlier versions.
I look forward to when development of Moray can restart.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Apr 2012 07:43:37
Message: <4f82cb69$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-4-2012 11:28, Stephen wrote:

>>> Oh dear! That means that I can't get any greater. I am so
>>> dissapointed. ;-)
>>
>> Henceforward, you have been designated by majority consensus as the
>> leading trouble shooter on this issue :-)
>>

> Is that a consensus of one? ;-)
Of course! I am the majority :-) Plus Peter makes it the majority + one....

> Anyway it has been almost 6 years since I have used Moray. So I am not
> the best person to be the guru.
>
>> On a more serious note: I should reinstall Moray in the near future.
>>

> Why? You are doing well enough without it.
> I need it or Bishop3D to help me visualise and build the scene. Without
> an import function it becomes less useful as PovRay SDL moves away from
> earlier versions.
> I look forward to when development of Moray can restart.

True that I am doing well without, but there are a couple of things that
are interesting to do in Moray, especially a number of plugins.
Otherwise, I prefer to build with meshes nowadays, which also render
faster. Like you say, Moray is certainly useful in helping visualize
scene building, which is also my reason to look forward to a new version.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: peter puzzelaar
Date: 9 Apr 2012 16:35:00
Message: <web.4f8347649ffdc0e547437ba70@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:

> >> Oh dear! That means that I can't get any greater. I am so
> >> dissapointed. ;-)
> >
> > Henceforward, you have been designated by majority consensus as the
> > leading trouble shooter on this issue :-)
> >

> Is that a consensus of one? ;-)
> Anyway it has been almost 6 years since I have used Moray. So I am not
> the best person to be the guru.
>
> > On a more serious note: I should reinstall Moray in the near future.
> >

> Why? You are doing well enough without it.
> I need it or Bishop3D to help me visualise and build the scene. Without
> an import function it becomes less useful as PovRay SDL moves away from
> earlier versions.
> I look forward to when development of Moray can restart.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

It all works now: Moray3.5 can work togeter with POV3.5 on a win7 system.
Read back on this thread to find the how Stephen found the solution.

Many thanks to all people, who put in the effort to help me make a step forward.

Best regards,
Peter.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Apr 2012 03:05:33
Message: <4f83dbbd$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-4-2012 22:32, peter puzzelaar wrote:

> It all works now: Moray3.5 can work togeter with POV3.5 on a win7 system.
> Read back on this thread to find the how Stephen found the solution.
>
> Many thanks to all people, who put in the effort to help me make a step forward.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.

Glad it works! I shall keep the solution in mind too ;-)

Thomas