POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : macos batch processing Server Time
16 Sep 2021 07:51:48 EDT (-0400)
  macos batch processing (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: andrea valle
Subject: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 08:50:01
Message: <web.44365f8d87c81a3b44ced1670@news.povray.org>
Hi to all,
I used Povray some times ago and now I'm getting a bit confused.

I'm making data visualization. I created algorithmically many .pov files
representing my models.
Now I'd like to batch render all them (the'te about 100).

My original idea was to make a python script call repeatedly Povray from the
command line passing the file names. But it seems that this solution is not
available (as far as I understood). I haven't understand ini files news (I
was using an older version: in that case I made all the processing via
ini). I saw a post on the topic but I do not know exactly how to solve the
problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated(, and sorry if it's obvious)

Thanks a lot

Best

-a-


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 09:32:43
Message: <443669fb$1@news.povray.org>
andrea valle wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I used Povray some times ago and now I'm getting a bit confused.
> 
> I'm making data visualization. I created algorithmically many .pov files
> representing my models.
> Now I'd like to batch render all them (the'te about 100).

Drag them into the Render Queue Window and start rendering.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: andrea valle
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 10:05:00
Message: <web.44367123269410633adc96150@news.povray.org>
Thanks a lot,

By the way,
I'm experimenting this strange (?) phenomenon:
- valid pov files cannot be dragged in the queue neither open via open add
files to queue menu. (they're valid because I can render them if I open
them)
- after I rendered them once, they can be selected
- I can use the menu if I choose "All documents"

How do I set global parameters for all?

 Thanks

Best

-a-

Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> andrea valle wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> > I used Povray some times ago and now I'm getting a bit confused.
> >
> > I'm making data visualization. I created algorithmically many .pov files
> > representing my models.
> > Now I'd like to batch render all them (the'te about 100).
>
> Drag them into the Render Queue Window and start rendering.
>
>  Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 10:26:33
Message: <44367699$1@news.povray.org>
andrea valle wrote:
> By the way,
> I'm experimenting this strange (?) phenomenon:
> - valid pov files cannot be dragged in the queue neither open via open add
> files to queue menu. (they're valid because I can render them if I open
> them)

Then they are not valid. This happens either when the files don't have a 
".pov" extension and "Allow rendering of '.pov' files only" is enabled in 
the preferences, or when files have been created with Unix-like 
editors/command-line programs. Using POV-Ray's editor or BBEdit (unless its 
a newer version configured in a non-default way) will allow you to drag the 
files without problems.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: andrea valle
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 10:55:00
Message: <web.44367c64269410633adc96150@news.povray.org>
Thanks Thorsten,

> when files have been created with Unix-like
> editors/command-line programs.

That's it, indeed.

So, how do I set global parameters for all my files to be rendered, eg.
dimension?
(There's no way to use cmd line, right?)

Thanks for your kindness


-a-


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 11:14:10
Message: <443681c2$1@news.povray.org>
andrea valle wrote:
> That's it, indeed.
> 
> So, how do I set global parameters for all my files to be rendered, eg.
> dimension?

Assuming on size fits all, it is easy:

Open one scene file, change the Render Settings and add a Settings Set (use 
the "Set:" popup menu in the Render Settings dialog and select "Add..." 
there. Once created, open the Preferences dialog, go to the Scenes tab and 
select the newly created set in the "Default render Settings Set:" popup 
menu. This way all files you created elsewhere and that have not been opened 
yet (and hence no render settings associated with them), will inherit the 
same render settings.

> (There's no way to use cmd line, right?)

No. You can of course download the Unix source code, and built the 
command-line version of POV-Ray and run it in the terminal.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: andrea valle
Subject: Re: macos batch processing
Date: 7 Apr 2006 18:45:01
Message: <web.4436eaeb26941063c3b175850@news.povray.org>
Thanks again Thorsten,

ok, it works


> > (There's no way to use cmd line, right?)
>
> No. You can of course download the Unix source code, and built the
> command-line version of POV-Ray and run it in the terminal.


(It's a bit a pity. I cannot put POVRay in the pipeline of my automatic
documentation framework).

Best
-a-


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.