POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:57:41 EDT (-0400)
  I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac (Message 5 to 14 of 24)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Oleguer Vilella
Subject: Re: I can't open Pov-Ray on Mac
Date: 30 Mar 2006 15:16:12
Message: <442c3c8c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Yeah, I've reported that problem to Mac.

I will tray the Unix version.

Thanks,
Oleguer

> John Kuehne wrote:
>> Perhaps Rosetta is crashing. I too cannot run POV-Ray on an Intel Mac.
>> This
>> is really a shame, because we are using POV-Ray for depicting the results
>> of scientific research (in particular, the perception of motion). Waiting
>> until sometime in 2007 for an official version that runs - forget the
>> optimizations - isn't an option for us. And I'm not going to abandon the
>> Intel Mac . . .
>
> If the PowerPC emulator is crashing, that is *Apple's* problem, not
> POV-Ray's. Report problems with crashes to Apple. POV-Ray is a perfectly
> working and cleanly written PowerPC application, and it does run on every
> real PowerPC processor. on the other hand, the emulator Apple supplies is
> known to have problems, and they won't get fixed unless Apple is told they
> exist.
>
> Report it to Apple, or nothing will change. Unlike with the much better
> planned 68K to PowerPC transition, Apple has neglected to develop a
> working debugger for the PowerPC emulation environment called "Rosetta"
> and instead rushed out unstable systems to end users. Even today there is
> no reasonable way to debug within Rosetta, except using a barely working
> hack documented by Apple to use an unreliable low-level command-line-based
> debugger.
>
> BTW, effectively the poor development environments available, and the
> rushed transition is also the reason why major software vendors (i.e.
> Adobe) have been unable to deliver native software yet. there is just no
> way to properly develop and test on the x86 PCs sold by Apple yet.
>
> As for POV-Ray, do not expect a native version earlier than 2008 or as
> part of POV-Ray 4.0, whichever comes first. In the meantime, you can
> always compile and run the Unix version natively on Mac OS X.
>
> Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message

From: Oleguer
Date: 30 Mar 2006 16:05:00
Message: <web.442c477d346285559a0144700@news.povray.org>
How can I install the Linux software in the Mac?

Thanks in advance,
Oleguer

"Oleguer Vilella" <ole### [at] infonegociocom> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yeah, I've reported that problem to Mac.
>
> I will tray the Unix version.
>
> Thanks,
> Oleguer

> > John Kuehne wrote:
> >> Perhaps Rosetta is crashing. I too cannot run POV-Ray on an Intel Mac.
> >> This
> >> is really a shame, because we are using POV-Ray for depicting the results
> >> of scientific research (in particular, the perception of motion). Waiting
> >> until sometime in 2007 for an official version that runs - forget the
> >> optimizations - isn't an option for us. And I'm not going to abandon the
> >> Intel Mac . . .
> >
> > If the PowerPC emulator is crashing, that is *Apple's* problem, not
> > POV-Ray's. Report problems with crashes to Apple. POV-Ray is a perfectly
> > working and cleanly written PowerPC application, and it does run on every
> > real PowerPC processor. on the other hand, the emulator Apple supplies is
> > known to have problems, and they won't get fixed unless Apple is told they
> > exist.
> >
> > Report it to Apple, or nothing will change. Unlike with the much better
> > planned 68K to PowerPC transition, Apple has neglected to develop a
> > working debugger for the PowerPC emulation environment called "Rosetta"
> > and instead rushed out unstable systems to end users. Even today there is
> > no reasonable way to debug within Rosetta, except using a barely working
> > hack documented by Apple to use an unreliable low-level command-line-based
> > debugger.
> >
> > BTW, effectively the poor development environments available, and the
> > rushed transition is also the reason why major software vendors (i.e.
> > Adobe) have been unable to deliver native software yet. there is just no
> > way to properly develop and test on the x86 PCs sold by Apple yet.
> >
> > As for POV-Ray, do not expect a native version earlier than 2008 or as
> > part of POV-Ray 4.0, whichever comes first. In the meantime, you can
> > always compile and run the Unix version natively on Mac OS X.
> >
> > Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Mar 2006 17:15:29
Message: <442c5881@news.povray.org>
Oleguer wrote:
> How can I install the Linux software in the Mac?

If you don't know how to do this, and your question suggests you don't, I
cannot recommend you try.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

So, I won't be able to use Pov-Ray on that Mac?

Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Oleguer wrote:
>> How can I install the Linux software in the Mac?
>
> If you don't know how to do this, and your question suggests you don't, I
> cannot recommend you try.
>
>     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message