POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : HELP!! Server Time
25 Oct 2021 23:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  HELP!! (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: John  Conaway
Subject: HELP!!
Date: 15 Oct 2004 14:50:01
Message: <web.41701ad8bf523213996174c30@news.povray.org>
RRR im getting frustrated, I can  not figure out how to work this program.
I downloaded the file from this site, un stuffed it with the new unstuff,
then draged it into the applications folder of my hard drive, (i also tried
the main directory, and re downloading it...)
version 3.6 running on osx 10.3.5

I open up the program and attempt to render the benchmark, nothing happens.
In the messages window this comes up:

Parsing Options
  Input file: apple:private:tmp:501:TemporaryItems:benchmark.pov (compatible
to version 3.50)
  Remove bounds........On   Split unions.........Off
  Library paths:
Output Options
  Image resolution 384 by 384 (rows 0 to 384, columns 0 to 384).
  Graphic display.....Off
  Mosaic preview.......Off
  CPU usage histogram.Off
  Continued trace......Off
Tracing Options
  Quality:  9
  Bounding boxes......On  Bounding threshold: 3
  Light Buffer.........On   Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista
Buffer....Off
  Antialiasing........On  (Method 1, Threshold 0.300, Depth 3, Jitter 1.00)
  Radiosity............Off
Animation Options
  Clock value....   0.000  (Animation off)
Possible Parse Error: Could not find file 'functions.inc'
File benchmark.pov line 3

Parse Error: Cannot open include file functions.inc.
File benchmark.pov line 3

Parse Warning: Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L
switch or 'Library_Path='
...INI item. Standard include files are in the include directory or folder.
Please read your
documentation carefully.
File benchmark.pov line 3

Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

I dont know what all this means, someone please help. or dirrect me to where
i can learn how to figure it out.

Thank you
John


Post a reply to this message

From: jute
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 15 Oct 2004 15:20:00
Message: <web.417022339dbf1f71a0824ad80@news.povray.org>
"John  Conaway" <jcc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I dont know what all this means, someone please help. or dirrect me to where
> i can learn how to figure it out.

There seems to be something unstable with the Mac installer, I've had a
similar problem on a friend's iBook; I can't remember if it was with
POV-Ray or MegaPov just now.

First, do a search on your system for "functions.inc".  Note the directory
it's in.

Then, in the render settings panel, (apple-y (sic) if memory serves), find
the library path setting at the bottom of the panel and add the directory
noted above there.

--
jussi.kantola


Post a reply to this message

From: John  Conaway
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 15 Oct 2004 23:35:00
Message: <web.417096709dbf1f71996174c30@news.povray.org>
Hopefully I figure this out before i see a reply but i doubt it, I can not
get into the render settings, it is a faded option in the edit drop down
menu? I can not seem to open it


Post a reply to this message

From: Gallygaskins
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 16 Oct 2004 02:35:01
Message: <web.4170c0d79dbf1f716c2dfc170@news.povray.org>
"John  Conaway" <jcc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Hopefully I figure this out before i see a reply but i doubt it, I can not
> get into the render settings, it is a faded option in the edit drop down
> menu? I can not seem to open it

Both the Render Settings option and the Render option are inactive until
you have saved your script with a .pov extension and its window is active;
these options are replaced with <filename> Settings and Render <filename>

Maybe the Mac installer is a bit unstable, as I was surprised to find the
include path was not defined in a standard installation (and maybe
other paths I haven't found yet). Earlier posts in this list got me out
of trouble.

HTH
Gallygaskins


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 16 Oct 2004 03:14:08
Message: <4170ca40@news.povray.org>
In article <web.41701ad8bf523213996174c30@news.povray.org> , "John  Conaway"
<jcc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> RRR im getting frustrated, I can  not figure out how to work this program.

It would have helped if you had read either one of the two recent threads in
this group.  They both explain what you need to do.

    Thorsten

____________________________________________________
Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 16 Oct 2004 03:16:36
Message: <4170cad4$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.417022339dbf1f71a0824ad80@news.povray.org> , "jute" 
<nomail@nomail> wrote:

> There seems to be something unstable with the Mac installer,

Huh?  There is no installer, so I am not sure what you are talking about...

> First, do a search on your system for "functions.inc".  Note the directory
> it's in.

There is no need to search, it is in the "include" folder inside the POV-Ray
folder.

> Then, in the render settings panel, (apple-y (sic) if memory serves), find
> the library path setting at the bottom of the panel and add the directory
> noted above there.

No, the correct place to set this is the Scenes pane "Global Include Paths"
in the Preferences as they apply to all scenes.

    Thorsten

____________________________________________________
Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org


Post a reply to this message

From: Lazarus Plath
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 17 Oct 2004 08:59:15
Message: <qqazxxsw-757396.07591217102004@news.povray.org>
In article <web.4170c0d79dbf1f716c2dfc170@news.povray.org>,
 "Gallygaskins" <nor### [at] dahlfamilyorg> wrote:

> Both the Render Settings option and the Render option are inactive until
> you have saved your script with a .pov extension and its window is active;
> these options are replaced with <filename> Settings and Render <filename>
Both of which I find frustrating, having to click back and forth when 
adjusting render settings to rerender.

> Maybe the Mac installer is a bit unstable, as I was surprised to find the
> include path was not defined in a standard installation (and maybe
> other paths I haven't found yet). Earlier posts in this list got me out
> of trouble.

As mentioned, I don't think there is any installer. The download just 
uncompresses. So when you first run the paths to external files is empty 
and you need to specify them. Figuring this out and the greyed menu 
items are the main source of frustration for new users I think, at least 
in my case.

It's not the most intuitive to mac users, there is a steep initial 
learning curve and lots of research before you can start playing with 
making scenes. The usual learning by messing with the app doesn't apply 
here, you have to read, and there's lots to read. But it's well worth 
it, I'm amazed by how much it can do.

Now I've a question. Are there any programs that let you model a scene 
visually on the mac? So I can click on a light and move it rather than 
thinking about coordinates and typing them in. I know of moray on the 
windows side but don't know anything for mac.

Also, I write programs and am working on one that makes shapes and write 
them out as pov files. This isn't a full scene editor, just makes these 
one type of shapes but I'd like to specify all the options in render 
settings for these pov files. PovRay itself seems to store those 
settings in the resource fork of the file, it doesn't seem practical for 
me to do the same. I've tried setting the render width and height in the 
pov file but they are ignored. does it go in an inc file, an ini, some 
other file? Do I need to link to the other file from the pov code?

I want to use pov as a render engine and not have to mess with code, so 
I can make my shape, render it with pov, make changes in my app, 
rerender it with pov. Any insights, notes, caveats about this greatly 
appreciated.

-laz


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 17 Oct 2004 10:10:32
Message: <41727d58$1@news.povray.org>
In article <qqazxxsw-757396.07591217102004@news.povray.org> , Lazarus Plath
<qqa### [at] yahoocom>  wrote:

> So when you first run the paths to external files is empty
> and you need to specify them. Figuring this out and the greyed menu
> items are the main source of frustration for new users I think, at least
> in my case.

They are actually set, but on some newer systems this does not seem to work
as expected.  It might be related to some security update or something
specific on those systems.  Usually new users are not beta testers (which is
good thing), but it also makes identifying problems like this less likely.

Of course, the generic error message would be understandable even for a Mac
user, but that would require having read the Mac as well as the generic
manual parts.  As such, the next version will contain a different error
message for this specific case that explains it to Mac users specifically.

> It's not the most intuitive to mac users, there is a steep initial
> learning curve and lots of research before you can start playing with
> making scenes. The usual learning by messing with the app doesn't apply
> here, you have to read, and there's lots to read. But it's well worth
> it, I'm amazed by how much it can do.

I agree that there could be a better Mac tutorial ... but few users check
the manual at all before trying to use POV-Ray as past experience has shown
:-(

>  PovRay itself seems to store those
> settings in the resource fork of the file, it doesn't seem practical for
> me to do the same. I've tried setting the render width and height in the
> pov file but they are ignored. does it go in an inc file, an ini, some
> other file? Do I need to link to the other file from the pov code?

You can do this by using INI files, they are explained in the reference
section of the documentation.

> I want to use pov as a render engine and not have to mess with code

You might want to consider getting the Unix version and compiling it rather
than using the Mac GUI version.  It would give you a plain command-line
version of POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

____________________________________________________
Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org


Post a reply to this message

From: RJay Hansen
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 18 Oct 2004 10:24:09
Message: <4173d209$1@news.povray.org>
Lazarus Plath wrote:
> 
> It's not the most intuitive to mac users, there is a steep initial 
> learning curve and lots of research before you can start playing with 
> making scenes. The usual learning by messing with the app doesn't apply 
> here, you have to read, and there's lots to read. But it's well worth 
> it, I'm amazed by how much it can do.
> 

You're right on all accounts here.

> Now I've a question. Are there any programs that let you model a scene 
> visually on the mac? So I can click on a light and move it rather than 
> thinking about coordinates and typing them in. I know of moray on the 
> windows side but don't know anything for mac.

Check out this page for lots of options:
http://www.rocketjam.com/povmod.html

> 
> Also, I write programs and am working on one that makes shapes and write 
> them out as pov files. This isn't a full scene editor, just makes these 
> one type of shapes but I'd like to specify all the options in render 
> settings for these pov files.

You may want to check out the Mac version of Mega-POV here:
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/

It has a template editor which allows you to enter parameters for 
virtually every POV-Ray object and function and will generate the 
appropriate syntactically-correct code.

RJay
http://www.rocketjam.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Lazarus Plath
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Date: 20 Oct 2004 16:19:29
Message: <qqazxxsw-620461.15192520102004@news.povray.org>
In article <4173d209$1@news.povray.org>,
 RJay Hansen <rha### [at] printingincorporatedcom> wrote:

> Check out this page for lots of options:
> http://www.rocketjam.com/povmod.html
I didn't know blender output pov. that's nice except currently blender 
won't launch:( I asked on their forum about it

> You may want to check out the Mac version of Mega-POV here:
> http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/
> 
> It has a template editor which allows you to enter parameters for 
> virtually every POV-Ray object and function and will generate the 
> appropriate syntactically-correct code.

Very nice, I'm getting a better handle on the syntax but I can use this 
as a quality check for the files my app outputs. I'm still learning all 
that regular pov has to offer!
-few


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.