POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? Server Time
17 Jun 2024 16:58:57 EDT (-0400)
  Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jerry
Subject: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1?
Date: 24 Nov 1999 17:45:23
Message: <jerry-2411991445230001@cerebus.acusd.edu>
I don't recall merge ever acting this way before. I'm getting a reverse
intersection clipping with the following:

#include "colors.inc"

camera {
   location <-2.5,6.5,4.1>
   look_at <-3.05,6,4.5>

}

light_source {
   <50,50,-10>
   color White
}

//union {
   merge {
      box {
         <0,0,4.25>, <.25,6,4.5>
      }
      box {
         <0,5.75,0>, <.25,6,4.5>
      }
   //}
   cylinder {
      <0,5.9,4.375>, <6.5,5.9,4.375>, .06
   }

   translate <-3.25,0,0>
   pigment {
      color Blue
   }
}

In the source above, the objects are clipped where they meet.

Comment out the 'merge' line and uncomment the 'union', and it appears as
I would expect--two blocks with a cylinder coming out of them.

Uncomment everything, so that the blocks are in a merge but the cylinder
is in a union, and the blocks get clipped where they meet, with the
cylinder appearing in the space inside.

I put an example up at http://cerebus.acusd.edu/merge/ . I'm getting this
in both the official compile for Macintosh (3.1g.r1) and the unofficial
compile (November 17, 1999).

Is this right?

Jerry

Post a reply to this message

> I don't recall merge ever acting this way before. I'm getting a reverse
> intersection clipping with the following:

> In the source above, the objects are clipped where they meet.

> Is this right?

What you are experiencing is called coincedent surfaces. POV-Ray
cannot tell which surface to evaluate as inside or outside because
the surface to the two boxes line up perfectly. This is not a bug
rather a limitation of raytracing.

Change your second box to:

      box {
         <0,5.75,0>, <.2501,6.001,4.501>
      }

and it works properly.

>> I don't recall merge ever acting this way before. I'm getting a reverse
>> intersection clipping with the following:
>
>> In the source above, the objects are clipped where they meet.
>
>> Is this right?
>
>What you are experiencing is called coincedent surfaces. POV-Ray
>cannot tell which surface to evaluate as inside or outside because
>the surface to the two boxes line up perfectly. This is not a bug
>rather a limitation of raytracing.

I've never seen coincident surfaces act like this. In the past, it has
always chosen one or the other at (apparent) random to display (and when
both are the same texture, it hasn't shown). So merge, rather than doing
what union does and choosing one, just gives up and effectively clips the
surfaces?

Is it my imagination that merge did not used to do this?

Jerry
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/

Post a reply to this message