POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? : Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 11:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1?
From: Jerry Stratton
Date: 24 Nov 1999 21:00:13
Message: <newsw-2411991800140001@cx38767-a.dt1.sdca.home.com>
In article <383C8CC6.10746C53@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg wrote:
>Jerry Stratton wrote:
>> Is it my imagination that merge did not used to do this?
>
> I just tried it on the dos version of POV-Ray v2.2 and it acted the same.
>The reason you are percieving it as a clipping operation is because the
>merge operation removes all interior surfaces. In fact I would say that
>you are lucky that the two boxes where they overlap are coming out so
>clean. If it were a true coincident surfaces problem you would likely
>see physical artifacts left over by the merge operation.

Yes, that's what I expect with coincident surfaces. I just checked the 3.0
version that I started with (didn't have it at the office today), and it
does exactly the same thing. I could've sworn I've used merge in this
manner before, but apparently it really was just my imagination.

Sorry for the trouble.

Jerry
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/