POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? : Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 11:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Nov 1999 20:03:16
Message: <241119992003151083%chrishuff_99@yahoo.com>
In article <new### [at] cx38767-adt1sdcahomecom>, Jerry
Stratton <new### [at] hoboescom> wrote:

> I've never seen coincident surfaces act like this. In the past, it has
> always chosen one or the other at (apparent) random to display (and when
> both are the same texture, it hasn't shown). So merge, rather than doing
> what union does and choosing one, just gives up and effectively clips the
> surfaces?
>
> Is it my imagination that merge did not used to do this?

It doesn't pick either surface, it just picks the one which seems
closest, which varies due to precision errors. Sometimes it picks one,
sometimes the other, sometimes an entire area will consist of one. It
isn't very predictable, and seems to depend on the combination of the
objects being used, and on the position of the camera and object. Of
course, the problem is nonexistant when both parts are the same
texture, and the only CSG is a union...
The newer version may produce different results from coincident
surfaces because of a different compiler or different libraries, like
the prism problem(see a thread back in povray.general about this).(With
the exception that the prism thing is a fixeable problem, while this is
just a characteristic of this type of rendering)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom