POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? : Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 11:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merge Oddity in POV/Mac 3.1g.r1?
From: Jerry Stratton
Date: 24 Nov 1999 19:49:19
Message: <newsw-2411991649200001@cx38767-a.dt1.sdca.home.com>
In article <383C6D99.35A9B7FF@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>>
>> I don't recall merge ever acting this way before. I'm getting a reverse
>> intersection clipping with the following:
>
>> In the source above, the objects are clipped where they meet.
>
>> Is this right?
>
>What you are experiencing is called coincedent surfaces. POV-Ray
>cannot tell which surface to evaluate as inside or outside because
>the surface to the two boxes line up perfectly. This is not a bug
>rather a limitation of raytracing.

I've never seen coincident surfaces act like this. In the past, it has
always chosen one or the other at (apparent) random to display (and when
both are the same texture, it hasn't shown). So merge, rather than doing
what union does and choosing one, just gives up and effectively clips the
surfaces?

Is it my imagination that merge did not used to do this?

Jerry
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/