POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : 4.0...?? Server Time
4 May 2024 14:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  4.0...?? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Ryan Mooney
Subject: 4.0...??
Date: 4 Nov 2002 20:32:08
Message: <3DC668C1.9BF815A4@earthlink.net>
What are future plans for 4.0...???
Will it be a complete rebuild from scratch...???
Was 3.5 from scratch...??

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: 4.0...??
Date: 4 Nov 2002 20:44:42
Message: <3DC7226F.887ABF1B@pacbell.net>
Ryan Mooney wrote:

> What are future plans for 4.0...???
> Will it be a complete rebuild from scratch...???
> Was 3.5 from scratch...??

The main purpose of POV-Ray v4.0 will be a transition from the older C code
to a hopefully more modular and robust C++ code base. v3.5 was based on
the v3.1g source code and was basically a patch upgrade. How the final
version of 4.0 will turn out is anybody's guess at this point in time.
The POV-Team has not yet completed the planning for 4.0 and there is still
much to work out before they can start work on it.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

I thought that 3.5 was supposed to be the upgrade from c to c++...??
Being a patch upgrade explains allot... I will stick with trusty 3.1g in mega
version... =]

Thank you... =]

Ryan

Ken wrote:

> Ryan Mooney wrote:
> >
> > What are future plans for 4.0...???
> > Will it be a complete rebuild from scratch...???
> > Was 3.5 from scratch...??
>
> The main purpose of POV-Ray v4.0 will be a transition from the older C code
> to a hopefully more modular and robust C++ code base. v3.5 was based on
> the v3.1g source code and was basically a patch upgrade. How the final
> version of 4.0 will turn out is anybody's guess at this point in time.
> The POV-Team has not yet completed the planning for 4.0 and there is still
> much to work out before they can start work on it.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message