POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray Mandelbulbs - Isosurface and max_gradient Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Povray Mandelbulbs - Isosurface and max_gradient (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: yesbird
Subject: Re: Povray Mandelbulbs - Isosurface and max_gradient
Date: 9 May 2024 20:10:53
Message: <663d660d@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2024 01:04, Droj wrote:
> Oh man you make me weep! 16 min with max_gradient=33566 ...

Hi, Droj.

Please, don't cry: I noticed, that your setting are too 'aggressive':
; Antialias_Depth = 9
; Antialias_Threshold = 0.0010
See: https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/223/

making less depth and threshold can seriously improve performance with
almost the same quality.

>  Hope the ini settings will help.

Thanks, you've saved a lot of time for me.

> Have you ever seen Edvard Munk's painting 'The Scream'?Yes, sure, this is a famous
painting, but I see something close to
Francisco Goya. 🙂

Happy poving,
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fract_03_1024x768.png' (192 KB)

Preview of image 'fract_03_1024x768.png'
fract_03_1024x768.png

From: Droj
Date: 10 May 2024 08:10:00
Message: <web.663e0d5da9c49b65e85adf843b2af915@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Hi YB

> Please, don't cry: I noticed, that your setting are too 'aggressive':
> ; Antialias_Depth = 9
> ; Antialias_Threshold = 0.0010
> See: https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/223/
>
> making less depth and threshold can seriously improve performance with
> almost the same quality.

Yes, you are right. I will lower the aa and see what happens.

> >  Have you ever seen Edvard Munk's painting 'The Scream'?
>
> Yes, sure, this is a famous painting, but I see something close to
> Francisco Goya. 🙂

Yeah, Francisco Goya would have been my next choice.

Could you please share the code for your fractal03.png? It's amazing!

And do you have an idea how to code power 3, power 5 and power 7?

Happy tracing
Droj

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 10 May 2024 14:21:17
Message: <663e659d$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2024 15:06, Droj wrote:
> Could you please share the code for your fractal03.png? It's amazing!
With pleasure - see attachment :).

> And do you have an idea how to code power 3, power 5 and power 7?
Did not thought about it, but if you have some cool ideas, please feel
free to send me scenes and I will render them on my fast server.

PS:I am mostly working at the night and sometimes afraid to open newly
rendered fractal image, feeling like opening door to inferno :).

All the best,
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fractals.pov.txt' (3 KB) Download 'povray.ini.txt' (3 KB)

From: Droj
Date: 11 May 2024 15:30:00
Message: <web.663fc637a9c49b65397fdce03b2af915@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Hi YB

> With pleasure - see attachment :).
thank you for sharing.
I realised that your camera position is on positive z-axis while mine is on
negative z-axis. That explains why some of your images look different.

I also took your advice and changed my 'aggressive' aa settings - and yes,
rendering times decreased a lot. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

> > And do you have an idea how to code power 3, power 5 and power 7?

Yes, see attachment - 3 fractal beasts - well, I am not too happy with it as the
fractals look a bit 'truncated'. I can't perform any experiments with the code
like use larger contained_by values. Maybe, you can with your excellent server!

> PS:I am mostly working at the night and sometimes afraid to open newly
> rendered fractal image, feeling like opening door to inferno :).

Same here: Seeing the image slowly evolving at night is somtimes like watching
the movie 'Hellraiser' :))

Happy tracing
Droj
PS: Did you try to rotate any of the fractals? I would like to know your
experience.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7.pov.txt' (3 KB)

From: yesbird
Date: 11 May 2024 19:44:42
Message: <664002ea@news.povray.org>
On 11/05/2024 22:27, Droj wrote:

Hi, Droj.

> Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Always welcome :).

> Yes, see attachment - 3 fractal beasts - well, I am not too happy with it as the
> fractals look a bit 'truncated'. I can't perform any experiments with the code
> like use larger contained_by values. Maybe, you can with your excellent server!
I've played width them a little, results in attachments. I like 'pow3'
most of all. To make them more smooth and less boring I changed
threshold and increased AA.

> PS: Did you try to rotate any of the fractals? I would like to know your
> experience.

No, but idea is interesting - will try soon. Also, I guess, threshold
animation can give interesting results (two 640x480 attached), need to
try it too, when I will have a break in my present project.

If you have another set of beasts, I can also render them with pleasure.
Good luck with explorations,
--
YB.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow3_tr1.8.png' (291 KB) Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow5_tr2.png' (330 KB) Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr1.png' (325 KB) Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr2.png' (117 KB) Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr05.png' (145 KB) Download 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod.pov.txt' (3 KB) Download 'povray.ini.txt' (3 KB)

Preview of image 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow3_tr1.8.png'
mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow3_tr1.8.png

Preview of image 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow5_tr2.png'
mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow5_tr2.png

Preview of image 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr1.png'
mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr1.png

Preview of image 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr2.png'
mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr2.png

Preview of image 'mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr05.png'
mandelbulb_pow3_5_7_mod_pow7_tr05.png

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 May 2024 14:55:00
Message: <web.6643b2a2a9c49b657b170db125979125@news.povray.org>
You guys may want to check out Inigo Quilez's page, and look at the "Fractals &
complex dynamics" section.

https://iquilezles.org/articles/

Articles:
Continuous iteration count
The M1 bulb of the Mandelbrot set
The M2 bulb in the Mandelbrot set
Area of M1 in the Mandelbrot set
The symmetry of the Mandelbrot set
Introduction to the Mandelbrot set

They might offer some insights into how to speed up your renders.

- BW

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 15 May 2024 06:15:00
Message: <web.66448ab9a9c49b65869a24876cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:
> // Mandelbulb - power 4 - Believe me the power 6 is a vision of hell!

a less "hellish" bulb, derived from the work of Chris M. Thomasson.

mp4, approx 12M: <https://photos.app.goo.gl/Us3fXASWaMPWDEhc9>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Droj
Date: 16 May 2024 12:00:00
Message: <web.66462c8aa9c49b65a0768d5a3b2af915@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:
> > // Mandelbulb - power 4 - Believe me the power 6 is a vision of hell!
>
> a less "hellish" bulb, derived from the work of Chris M. Thomasson.
>
> mp4, approx 12M: <https://photos.app.goo.gl/Us3fXASWaMPWDEhc9>
>

> regards, jr.

Hi jr,

thanks for the link.
Looks like 'The Ghost in the Bottle' ;)

regards, Droj

Post a reply to this message

From: Droj
Date: 16 May 2024 12:15:00
Message: <web.6646306ca9c49b65a0768d5a3b2af915@news.povray.org>
> You guys may want to check out Inigo Quilez's page, and look at the "Fractals &
> complex dynamics" section.
>
> https://iquilezles.org/articles/
>
> Articles:
> Continuous iteration count
> The M1 bulb of the Mandelbrot set
> The M2 bulb in the Mandelbrot set
> Area of M1 in the Mandelbrot set
> The symmetry of the Mandelbrot set
> Introduction to the Mandelbrot set
>
> They might offer some insights into how to speed up your renders.
>
> - BW

Hi Bill,

thank you for the link to Inigo's website.
I read some of his articles and understood - zilch.

The problem I had with these Mandelbulbs was that - what Paul Nylander called
'inefficient code' - it gave Povray a really hard time.

And when I added an include file Povray crashes as soon as I started rendering.

Well, I guess I put that Mandelbulb topic on ice until I have a more powerful
computer.

Regards, Droj

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>