POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Lab: plans and discussions Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:47:07 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Lab: plans and discussions (Message 1 to 10 of 44)
From: yesbird
Subject: POV-Lab: plans and discussions
Date: 31 Jan 2023 09:30:00
Message: <web.63d92481e89dba73b5d5a6710800fb2@news.povray.org>
Hi, guys !
As I see my POV-Lab has some resonance in this group and according to BE advice,
I am starting new thread where would like to share my plans about this project
with everyone who is interested in and can assist with advice or maybe even
development. We can discuss all related staff here.

Two main goals attract me most of all:

1. Substitute Matlab's standart visualizations methods, which users are already
familiar with, by POV-based methods providing better image quality,     I mean
at least following functions: 'plot', 'surf', 'coneplot', 'isosurface',
'streamline', and similar.     Here is the reference to corresponding manual
section:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/2-and-3d-plots.html?s_tid=CRUX_lftnav

2. Extend Matlab's visualization system with POV entities and methods that far
exceed present Matlab's abilities with the power of CSG: making slices, unions,
intersection of surfaces, displaying normals and highlighting faces, etc.

I guess it can be very useful for:

1. Presentations. Starting from basic forms, and dreaming about the distant
future, special methods for presentation graphics (bars, charts, pies, etc).

2. Learning CG in schools and universities. I can imagine LiveEditor's notebooks
(relatively new Matllab's feature) that covers some aspects of CG and can be
used as lesson materials.

At present time the state is very early beta: we have a basic core and few
examples that work, but are too far from perfect.
Even without Matlab you can see examples from the latest published revision
here:
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/123520-pov-lab-matlab-interface-to-pov-ray
by selecting the 'Examples' tab.

I am planning to publish revisions weekly, to make new features available to
users as soon as they appear, some minor imperfections, if any, I will fix 'on
the fly'. Code repository is here: https://github.com/syanenko

No doubt, it will be a long way, but you know, that "a journey of a thousand
miles begins with a single step", hope with your support it becomes much
shorter. Will be glad to hear your opinions, advices, and constructive (and also
destructive) critics.

PS: Sorry for my English, it's not my native language and I am working with code
much more than with English literature :).

Post a reply to this message