POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Lab: plans and discussions : Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:47:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions
From: ingo
Date: 1 Feb 2023 05:20:00
Message: <web.63da3bdd1a31123017bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>

> And which parts of the workflow are you going to have POV-Ray do?   Because if I
> were going to start a project like this, I'd probably just start emulating
> MatLab in POV-Ray, and then the learning curve for people who already know
> MatLab would be a lot easier.

We, as hand coders, often forget what POV-Ray is. A ray-tracer, with a language
'bolted on'. So, yes, generate everything externally and render with POV-Ray, as
long as it is faster. And if you do not want to edit the resulting scene.

Some time ago I have converted the meshmaker macro's and the parametric mesh to
the Nim programming language. A one million triangle sphere in 0.4s written to
file. 0.4 sec for POV-Ray to parse the mesh from file. (An isosurface mesh
program may be nice but not within my capabilities.)

Then a question for yesbird, can mathlab output to SVG? With a script/program
SVG paths can be transformed to POV-Ray objects. I would not try it with
POV-Ray's SDL. Just a thought.

For 2D plots I would probably prefer SVG as it is dynamic scalable, where
POV-Ray needs to re-render to another resolution.

ingo