POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Lab: plans and discussions : Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Lab: plans and discussions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 31 Jan 2023 20:05:00
Message: <web.63d9ba9f1a3112301f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I am starting new thread where would like to share my plans about this project
> with everyone who is interested in and can assist with advice or maybe even
> development. We can discuss all related staff here.
>
> Two main goals attract me most of all:
>
> 1. Substitute Matlab's standart visualizations methods

I think that the best thing to do would be to collect a number of representative
MatLab visualizations to use as targets for emulating in POV-Ray.

On this end, I would say that an essential part of implementing what you want is
going to be understanding what a typical setup and workflow looks like, and what
parts MatLab and POV-Ray are going to play in the overall scheme of things.

What are the outputs from Matlab going to look like?   That's going to determine
a lot.

A lot of those small functions in the manual look just like small macros I'd
write to perform the same operations.

> 1. Presentations. Starting from basic forms, and dreaming about the distant
> future, special methods for presentation graphics (bars, charts, pies, etc).

These should be fairly trivial to set up.

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/123520-pov-lab-matlab-interface-to-pov-ray
> by selecting the 'Examples' tab.

Most if not all of that will be stuff that the late Friederich Lohmueller set up
and incorporated in the POV-Ray drop-down Insert Menu.
I have most of his website archived, and it looks like that's now one of the
projects I ought to work on making available again, since the site is down.

> PS: Sorry for my English, it's not my native language and I am working with code
> much more than with English literature :).

No worries.  You English is just fine, and we have people from all over the
world post here, some even only by using online translators.

One of the things that we should know is - what can MatLab do that POV-Ray
can't?

And which parts of the workflow are you going to have POV-Ray do?   Because if I
were going to start a project like this, I'd probably just start emulating
MatLab in POV-Ray, and then the learning curve for people who already know
MatLab would be a lot easier.

There's a lot of things that you can do with regard to the graphics capabilities
of POV-Ray.   And I mean A LOT.   So much that i can't hold it all in my head,
and so much that it's easy to get lost and paralyzed because there are TOO MANY
options to pick from.

- BE