POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [announce] Views of the Earth website Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:40:20 EDT (-0400)
  [announce] Views of the Earth website (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: [announce] Views of the Earth website
Date: 15 Mar 2006 06:30:03
Message: <dv8tjp$mhb$1@chho.imagico.de>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> I love this, Christoph, it's beautiful work.

Thank you.

> The info about location and
> elevation is a nice touch. Was thinking that if the triangles for field of
> view could also show actual ground area that is framed in it would be
> perfect! Guessing that might be out of the realm of possibility.

I already saw this isn't perfect.  First of all since the sectors are
just drawn on top of the map they of course don't show the actual view
area including occlusions.  In addition the area is wrong as well since
i would have to use a different map projection (in the current one the
view cone would need to be curved).  This is especially a problem with
the higher altitude views.

> Left a comment for the Mt. St. Helens view to see if that works okay.

You sure this worked?  I have no comment from you in the database yet.
But testing myself it worked.  I changed the confirmation page now - You
should get a page saying "Your message has been added and is waiting for
approval." and a preview of your comment after submission.

> Sure hope you have the bandwidth at that web site to handle the traffic.

Well - until now the traffic has been moderate and the size is just
about 50MB currently.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)