POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 07:54:37 EDT (-0400)
  Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms?
Date: 25 Sep 2001 10:15:08
Message: <3bb0916c@news.povray.org>
news:3BB08FE8.91083387@pacbell.net...

> Nekar Xenos wrote:
>
> > I can imagine blobs and iso-surfaces could be difficult, but I don't really
see
> > a problem with primitives?
>
> The converter would need an extremely complex scene file parser with
> about the same capabilities of POV-Ray itself to accomplish that.
> Would you like to wirte a POV-Ray scene file parser from scratch
> just to make a conversion program? I sure wouldn't.

Oh, ok.

- Nekar

Post a reply to this message

From: Adrien Beau
Date: 25 Sep 2001 10:21:52
Message: <3BB09356.46052564@sycomore.fr>
Ken wrote:

> Nekar Xenos wrote:
>
> > I can imagine blobs and iso-surfaces could be difficult, but I don't really see
> > a problem with primitives?
>
> The converter would need an extremely complex scene file parser with
> about the same capabilities of POV-Ray itself to accomplish that.
> Would you like to wirte a POV-Ray scene file parser from scratch
> just to make a conversion program? I sure wouldn't.

Hopefully, POV-Ray 4 will be more tolerant to source re-use,
so external developers will be able to use the parser in their
own utilities. Until then, pov2foobar will be almost impossible
to do.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs

Post a reply to this message

"Adrien Beau" <adr### [at] sycomorefr> wrote in message
> Ken wrote:
> >
> > Nekar Xenos wrote:
> >
> > > I can imagine blobs and iso-surfaces could be difficult, but I don't
really see
> > > a problem with primitives?
> >
> > The converter would need an extremely complex scene file parser with
> > about the same capabilities of POV-Ray itself to accomplish that.
> > Would you like to wirte a POV-Ray scene file parser from scratch
> > just to make a conversion program? I sure wouldn't.
>
> Hopefully, POV-Ray 4 will be more tolerant to source re-use,
> so external developers will be able to use the parser in their
> own utilities. Until then, pov2foobar will be almost impossible
> to do.

Hey, where can I get Foobar?  ;->

j/k

- Nekar