POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? : Re: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:41:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey, want a 3d converter for all platforms?
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 25 Sep 2001 11:20:06
Message: <3BB0A05A.7BC15283@atosorigin.com>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> >

> > Nekar Xenos wrote:
> > >
> > > Pov primitives, blobs and iso-surfaces...
> >
> > Won't happen.
> >

> I can imagine blobs and iso-surfaces could be difficult, but I don't really see
> a problem with primitives?
>
> - Nekar

Some possible troubles from primitives:

 - All infinite solid primitives are nearly impossible to simulate
    always correctly with triangles/polygones
   (plane is the first used, but quartic/quadric/poly/cubic are available too)

 - CSG !!! (excepted for union, which is really a do-nothing(*) )

 - You will have real fun with "text" object

 - All the really smooth finite solid primitives (e.g. superellipsoid,
   sor, lathe, prism,...)

 - the julia_fractal is finite, but nearly impossible to tesselate correctly
   (unless you have really a lot of memory for the mesh...)

*: Excepted it permits to share some material & transform.