POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 17:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. (Message 34 to 43 of 53)
From: David
Subject: Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
Date: 7 Jun 2000 19:48:58
Message: <B5642D9E.10B4%davidmccabe@mac.com>
Did Unisys even make the GIF format? I've never heard of that before.
Who even is Unisys?

> From: David Fontaine <dav### [at] faricynet>
> Newsgroups:
> povray.general,povray.macintosh,povray.unofficial.patches,povray.windows
> Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:51:26 -0500
> Subject: Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
>
> Andrea Ryan wrote:
>
>> The banner on top of that Unisys page is a gif image.  If Unisys has not
>> licensed itself, it will have to sue itself!  ;)
>
> What's funny is it says, "We eat, sleep and drink this stuff" and then there's
> pages and pages of legal issues and licensing info... yeah, they eat, sleep
> and
> drink that all right.
>
> --
> David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
> Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 7 Jun 2000 20:18:38
Message: <393EE7E5.84E8A8E6@mailbag.com>
David wrote:

> Did Unisys even make the GIF format?

CompuServe made the GIF format, using an algorithm that they did not
realize had been patented by a company that had subsequently been
purchased by Unisys.  Had CompuServe known the algorithm was encumbered
by a patent, they probably would have chosen a different algorithm.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message