POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. : Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:57:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 10 Jun 2000 06:36:23
Message: <39421BB5.AB8BA839@mailbag.com>
Alf Peake wrote:

> When this HooHa started I was under the impression that the algorithm
> was patented _after_ CS produced the GIF format but before Unisys was
> involved. I was wrong?

Digging out books...

1984 - LZW compression invented and written up in IEEE Computer
1985 - LZW patent approved
1986 - Sperry (patent holder) merged with Burroughs to form Unisys, not
quite a purchase like I remembered
1987 - CompuServe creates GIF
1993 - Unisys becomes aware that GIF uses LZW compression

This paraphrased from Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats, 2nd ed.

-Mark Gordn