POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  A modest proposal (Message 51 to 53 of 53)
From: Spider
Subject: Re: A modest proposal
Date: 29 Jul 1999 11:33:13
Message: <379F65B7.87AECAA4@bahnhof.se>
Lance Birch wrote:

> haha, some of you just knew I was going to reply to this didn't you?  ;-)
I did.. Why did you think I left the bait hanging ?
:)

> Well, when it comes to 3DS, you're right, it SUCKS!  However, I must note
> that there is a MASSIVE difference between 3D Studio and 3D Studio MAX.  3D
> Studio isn't even considered a product any more (and it's not sold from
> authorised dealers).

*hehe* NC.

> The fact is that meshes are extremely powerful and CAN produce perfect image
> quality if the artist and the renderer are careful.  The introduction of
> such techniques as NURBS and adaptive degradation make meshes perfectly
> smooth (finally!!!).

Sure, sure. but that isn't implementable in POV (Nurbs, afaik is a
modeller thing, not a engine part..)

> So in conclusion, leave POV-Ray the way it is because as a raytracer it
> ROCKS!  And second, please don't criticise renderers that you haven't used
> the latest version of (for more than a month)  :)
he, I whacked down on the whole mesh system.. I know, Ii've built a
cheap hack of one in java... :)

> hehe, OK, that's my 2 cents, feel free to flame me now.
no, you have pointed at something good, with insight. why flame?

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Jul 1999 18:06:17
Message: <37A3763B.9AAB4897@erols.com>
Spider wrote:

> Lance Birch wrote:
> >
> > The fact is that meshes are extremely powerful and CAN produce perfect image
> > quality if the artist and the renderer are careful.  The introduction of
> > such techniques as NURBS and adaptive degradation make meshes perfectly
> > smooth (finally!!!).
>
> Sure, sure. but that isn't implementable in POV (Nurbs, afaik is a
> modeller thing, not a engine part..)

It can certainly be implemented; however, it's probably a very *slow*
ray-surface calculation, especially compared to a mesh.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Lance Birch
Date: 1 Aug 1999 10:26:35
Message: <37a4591b@news.povray.org>
But it IS a mesh... :)

Of course as was mentioned, this really isn't that good for POV-Ray, and I
don't see any possible syntax that could be used for it anyway.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind