POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status Server Time
28 Sep 2024 21:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Competition status (Message 71 to 80 of 94)
From: j
Subject: Re: Competition status
Date: 3 Nov 2004 10:45:00
Message: <web.4188fc28b45fa19e4d3bf7670@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> OK sorry I misunderstood.  I was thinking that because I am no expert at 3rd
> party modellers, I would have more of a chance of winning by getting some
> "credit" for doing models in raw POV.  If you are saying that an identical
> model created in both raw POV and a 3rd party modeller gets the same credit,
> then I will have to practise more with what looks like easier tools to use
> for complicated models.

It will be a pity if models made solely in povray does not deserve more
credits. The only reasons that I would use a modeller are for things like
nurbs, organic, some ridiculously oddly looking shape that can only be done
with meshes. I do agree that it takes some time to create high quality
models in povray, and because of this I believe that models made purely in
Povray should deserve extra credit.
>> OK sorry I misunderstood.  I was thinking that because I am no
>> expert at 3rd party modellers, I would have more of a chance of
>> winning by getting some "credit" for doing models in raw POV.  If
>> you are saying that an identical model created in both raw POV and a
>> 3rd party modeller gets the same credit, then I will have to
>> practise more with what looks like easier tools to use for
>> complicated models.
>
> It will be a pity if models made solely in povray does not deserve
> more credits.

I agree, but by the sounds of it the organisers want world-class images as a
result, *not* world-class POV code.

> The only reasons that I would use a modeller are for
> things like nurbs, organic, some ridiculously oddly looking shape
> that can only be done with meshes. I do agree that it takes some time
> to create high quality models in povray, and because of this I
> believe that models made purely in Povray should deserve extra credit.

Just because something is harder and takes longer I don't think it should
deserve more credit.  Most of us are only hobbyists, we have a limited time.
If we are being rewarded for spending 10 hours generating a clever model in
POV compared to spending 2 hours knocking it up in a modeller, then that's 8
hours we've lost that could have been spent on texturing/lighting within POV
to make the final image look world-class.
> Just because something is harder and takes longer I don't think it should
> deserve more credit.

That's true. Things that take longer to make may not necessarily deserve
more credit.

> If we are being rewarded for spending 10 hours generating a clever model in
> POV compared to spending 2 hours knocking it up in a modeller, then that's 8
> hours we've lost that could have been spent on texturing/lighting within POV
> to make the final image look world-class.

But then, how do you know that I spent the majority of my time modeling in
pov? It's the same as saying you spend more time to make fabulous looking
lighting/texture thus deserving more credit, isn't that sort of the same as
spending more time to make fabulous looking model in povray? It is a Povray
competition after all.