POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
14 May 2024 01:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: St
Date: 4 Nov 2004 12:49:34
Message: <418a6bae@news.povray.org>
"j" <phazxero[at]hotmail[dot]com> wrote in message
 "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> >    Can you 'please' stop splitting hairs? If you look at
> > http://www.richardrosenman.com/
> >
> >    How can you do this in Pov??  Eh? Eh?
> >
> I give you a modeller, can you?

    Can I do what? Model something like Mr. Rosenman has? I really
don't know if I can, I'm trying now, (and btw, when I saw his work, I
was already modeling something similar, so I was quite shocked to see
what he's done), and so far, so good, touch wood. But seriously,
there's no way I could do it directly in PoV-Ray. How would someone
make the folds in the skin? I've been using PoV for 5 years now, and
soon learnt early on that translating and rotating was going to be my
bugbear. I just couldn't do it. It seemed to take ages to move a box
where I wanted it. Then I tried sPatch, then Wings, (and with Wings,
you can build an entire scene on your screen if so desired - that's
the bit I like), and haven't looked back since.

> I didn't say everything is possible to model in povray. And just
because it
> hasn't been attempted in povray doesn't mean it's not possible.

      I agree.

> So it looks like I have already wasted a chunk of time finding
innovative
> ways to make models in povray that people normally don't do it in
povray. I
> don't enjoy doing worthless things.

     No no, don't take it like that. Keep up the good work! Nobody
would be wasting their time developing a way of modeling directly in
PoV if it's achievable. I say fair play to you if that's your goal. I
don't know what you're doing, but to me, I would say that a massive
library of different shapes 'could' be a good start - so that someone
could make a good robot, a good car, a good house, castle, whatever,
in PoV if they want. I think that would be one way forward. Thoughts?

> >    Get used to it. Modellers are in, and PoV <YOU> create/s the
> > superior textures, lighting, and finishes.
>
> I would use a modeller if I really have to, but if there are two
equally
> good models, one made in Povray and one made with a modeller, I
think the
> one made with Povray should deserve more credit, and that's the end
of it.

    Absolutely. I would be the first to shake the winners hand if this
is the case.

    Btw, sorry, I was in one of those moods again last night, and you
don't want to know... <sigh>

    Good luck to you.

    ~Steve~