POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Competition status (Message 51 to 60 of 94)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Re: Competition status
Date: 26 Oct 2004 21:07:51
Message: <417ef4e7@news.povray.org>
"m1j" <mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> emkaah <emkaah@yahoodotcom> wrote:
> > m1j wrote:
> > > the improvements for later and go again with the improvements. If the
> > > companies that donated the prizes expected this competition to be
perfect
> > > then perhaps new sponsors are needed anyway.
> > Dumbo.
> >
> > > legal issues that could change things. If anyone has access to legal
advice
> > > I would encourage some counseling.
> > >
> > Suggesting to sue a bunch of VOLUNTEERS working hard to make an OPEN
> > competition for a FREEWARE product a success, isn't mine style. And
> > neither should be yours.
> >
> > -Em
>
> There is no suggesting in my post. I was just stating a warning. We could
> all go blindly forward thinking no one here would do something like this
> but with $14,000 in prize money there could be someone now or after the
> finals are posted in Feb. that after losing decides they where not dealt
> properly. The rules are conditions to a contract that was ratified by each
> of us submitting an entry. To change the rules now with out first
including
> all those involved is a breach of contract. With such a team of volunteers
> it would be a very easy win for anyone who lacking in integrity would
spend
> the money to file a suit. The Pov team would have no funds to fight and
> would be force to agree to a settlement. That would be a very bad deal for
> all of us. I am just worried. I am not sure if this issue was considered
in
> the decision.

There is no legal issue, because everyone who registered agreed to this:

http://www.povcomp.com/rules/agreement/

Specifically, "5. By registering or entering the competition you accept and
agree that:" "b. Neither the competition organisers nor anyone associated
with the competition may be held responsible for any loss or damage of any
sort whatsoever, howsoever caused, that you may suffer as a result of
entering."

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com