POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : df3 file utility Server Time
8 Dec 2021 01:11:22 EST (-0500)
  df3 file utility (Message 11 to 16 of 16)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 28 Jul 2017 11:03:05
Message: <597b5229$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 28/07/2017 14:18, Mr wrote:
> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> some time ago I came across an animation of a fireplace on a website,
>> done with povray and DF3s, really nice, still managed to lose the
>> reference though :-(  anyway, that lead to a (fruitless) search for
>> software to work with DF3 files and, eventually, to a decision to
>> write my own "df3 tools".
>>
> Thanks, and great effort, but just so we know what's wrong with it from your
> opinion...

not sure what you mean by "wrong with it" -- with what?

> Were you aware that Blender's POV-Ray exporter/importer uses a the DF3 python
> library to use the format, previews in 3D view, and can also cache smoke in the
> other Blender cache format?

no, never used Blender.

regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 28 Jul 2017 12:31:25
Message: <597b66dd$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 28/07/2017 16:02, jr wrote:
> On 28/07/2017 14:18, Mr wrote:
>> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> some time ago I came across an animation of a fireplace on a website,
>>> ...
>> Thanks, and great effort, but just so we know what's wrong with it from your
>> opinion...
> 
> not sure what you mean by "wrong with it" -- with what?

well I re-read the sentence, and still don't understand it.

I should, however, been more positive + thanked you; can I read "great
effort" to mean that you installed the program + played with it?  if
yes, I'd love to know which GNU/Linux + kernel version, and whether
there were any "hiccups".

regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 29 Jul 2017 18:30:00
Message: <web.597d0beec58fd36d61ea16670@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 28/07/2017 16:02, jr wrote:
> > On 28/07/2017 14:18, Mr wrote:
> >> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >>> some time ago I came across an animation of a fireplace on a website,
> >>> ...
> >> Thanks, and great effort, but just so we know what's wrong with it from your
> >> opinion...
> >
> > not sure what you mean by "wrong with it" -- with what?
>
> well I re-read the sentence, and still don't understand it.
>
> I should, however, been more positive + thanked you; can I read "great
> effort" to mean that you installed the program + played with it?  if
> yes, I'd love to know which GNU/Linux + kernel version, and whether
> there were any "hiccups".
>
> regards, jr.

Sorry, I use Windows.
I meant to bring to your knowledge the existence of a tool you might have
ignored. and since you said you had a (fruitless) search for it, i figured maybe
you found it and still disqualified it for some reason, which i ask because
Lanuhum and I being contributors to the development of this tool (the Blender
exporter with DF3 support)...if we receive no feedback, we just can't know when
anything's wrong. Am I clearer?  :-)


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 30 Jul 2017 07:27:50
Message: <597dc2b6$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 29/07/2017 23:27, Mr wrote:
> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> well I re-read the sentence, and still don't understand it.
> Sorry, I use Windows.
> I meant to bring to your knowledge the existence of a tool you might have
> ignored. and since you said you had a (fruitless) search for it, i figured maybe
> you found it and still disqualified it for some reason, ...
> Lanuhum and I being contributors to the development of this tool (the Blender
> exporter with DF3 support)...if we receive no feedback, we just can't know when
> anything's wrong. Am I clearer?  :-)

very much clearer Mr, thanks.  I only use Windows for web access and
running one (occasionally two) virtual machines, and have no other
s/wares installed on that machine.  my "fruitless" search appears to
have missed some programs (like the viewer Stephen mentioned), but no, I
never looked at Blender + its plugins at all, so cannot offer any
comment.  fwiw, I know exactly how the "no feedback, we just can't know
when anything's wrong" feels, fingers crossed for you + LanuHum.

regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 2 Aug 2017 04:15:01
Message: <web.598188f3c58fd36d61ea16670@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 29/07/2017 23:27, Mr wrote:
> > jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> well I re-read the sentence, and still don't understand it.
> > Sorry, I use Windows.
> > I meant to bring to your knowledge the existence of a tool you might have
> > ignored. and since you said you had a (fruitless) search for it, i figured maybe
> > you found it and still disqualified it for some reason, ...
> > Lanuhum and I being contributors to the development of this tool (the Blender
> > exporter with DF3 support)...if we receive no feedback, we just can't know when
> > anything's wrong. Am I clearer?  :-)
>
> very much clearer Mr, thanks.  I only use Windows for web access and
> running one (occasionally two) virtual machines, and have no other
> s/wares installed on that machine.  my "fruitless" search appears to
> have missed some programs (like the viewer Stephen mentioned), but no, I
> never looked at Blender + its plugins at all, so cannot offer any
> comment.  fwiw, I know exactly how the "no feedback, we just can't know
> when anything's wrong" feels, fingers crossed for you + LanuHum.
>
> regards, jr.

Thanks and the same to you.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: df3 file utility
Date: 3 Aug 2017 20:23:22
Message: <5983be7a@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 27/07/2017 14:31, jr wrote:
> ... "df3 tools".> there are still some problems:

still no homepage.  still no unified build.  and still no feedback wrt
building on other GNU/Linux platforms.

> ...  also, following a recent mention of
> R Suzuki's float extension in one of the povray newsgroups,
> I plan to add support for reading 'dfd' data.  however,
> without more specific information than is given on the website,
> some functionality (like '[Cyclic]') may not get included.
> 

updated versions of both library and df3util are attached.  the library
now has "__attribute__((warn_unused_result))" on two prototypes
(df3_open_file + df3_create_file), and the df3Handle has been made more
robust.  df3util now has fewer bugs (I hope) and a partial
implementation of the Extended Density File Description format via a new
command: 'dfd'.  there's no "[format] binary" yet, "[cyclic]" must be
'off', and the program doesn't do any data interpolation (beyond my
abilities anyway).

enjoy, jr.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'libdf3-0.2.1.tar.gz' (335 KB) Download 'df3util-0.3.8.tar.gz' (170 KB)

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.