POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Voronoi helices Server Time
1 Apr 2023 10:08:45 EDT (-0400)
  Voronoi helices (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 14:40:00
Message: <web.63b3328a6bf4f197b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
Happy New Year all.

One of the outputs from my voronoi cell generator is an .inc file containing an
array of cells, each cell an array of faces, each face an array of points. A
couple of years ago I wrote a suite of polygon util macros, and a simple polygon
greebler, which all use an array of points as their primary polygon type. I have
therefore been trying to greeble the voronoi cells.

The greebler parameters are complicated (I ended up passing parameters to the
macros in arrays for brevity's sake), and the greebler will happily produce
inverted nonsense if any parameters are inappropriate, but with a bit of
juggling I've had some success.

Here's the current state of the scene. It renders in about an hour in UberPOV,
with an 8-minute parse due to the greebling. There are some gymnastics to avoid
greebling any faces blocked by neighbouring cells, and I've limited the greebles
to one level of subdivision. Most of my time was spent fiddling with the media
and fog. I'm not sure if I'm done yet - I feel there's something missing that I
can't put my finger on, so any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully
received!

Bill


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'greeblehelices.jpg' (240 KB)

Preview of image 'greeblehelices.jpg'
greeblehelices.jpg


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 15:30:00
Message: <web.63b33e4d53014cd8fbdc16836cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Happy New Year all.

(fingers crossed, anyway..)


> ... I feel there's something missing that I
> can't put my finger on, so any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully
> received!

my first thought was it looks cool, like some weirdly fossilised DNA :-), so
perhaps two more shades/colours to hint at "CGAT"?

re feedback, fwiw, find the "spacing increasing with altitude" cube really shows
the potential of your project(s).


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 16:35:00
Message: <web.63b34d1853014cd8a65171949334df62@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I feel there's something missing that I
> can't put my finger on, so any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully
> received!



Perhaps move the closest helix even closer to the camera for an even more
awe-inspiring close-up? -Just an idea to try...

Happy new year!


Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 17:50:00
Message: <web.63b35f7753014cd8b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Perhaps move the closest helix even closer to the camera for an even more
> awe-inspiring close-up? -Just an idea to try...

Great suggestion! I got somewhat blinkered by my original mental image. It
definitely needs a close-up, it's not obvious that the helices are greebled
unless you look carefully.

Rendering an update now...


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 18:20:00
Message: <web.63b3666353014cd81f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> I feel there's something missing that I
> can't put my finger on, so any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully
> received!
>
> Bill

A wee bit less fog, or a steeper gradient so that some more of the background
"pops"

Maybe angle the camera to get a more lengthwise view

I like the red/green duality.

Maybe add some lights in the hollow-looking dark greebles so that the helices
look occupied.  "Helixworld", anyone?

Have the red one be a dry, hot dessicated region, and the green one be lush with
vegetation.   Do something to add things to the upper horizontal parts.  Ice,
fire, plants, water....  One tech, on primitive / luddite?

Dueling worlds?   Symbiosis?   One parasitizes the other?  Electrical/magnetic
polarity?  Milla Jovovitch?

Some periodic pulse running up/down each/both helices?


Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 18:45:00
Message: <web.63b36c4453014cd8b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Perhaps move the closest helix even closer to the camera for an even more
> > awe-inspiring close-up? -Just an idea to try...
>
> Great suggestion! I got somewhat blinkered by my original mental image. It
> definitely needs a close-up, it's not obvious that the helices are greebled
> unless you look carefully.
>
> Rendering an update now...

Update rendered.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'greeblehelices2.jpg' (300 KB)

Preview of image 'greeblehelices2.jpg'
greeblehelices2.jpg


 

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 19:05:00
Message: <web.63b36fbd53014cd8b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> A wee bit less fog, or a steeper gradient so that some more of the background
> "pops"

I wanted the background specifically faint compared to the foreground, to
emphasize its scale and keep it separate from the foreground. It was difficult
to keep it faint enough to suggest size but still visible enough to show it off.
The fog is actually a ground fog ('down' away from the camera), with a media
container for the foreground. I wanted sunbeams but the bright background hides
them unfortunately.

> Maybe angle the camera to get a more lengthwise view

Smoke and mirrors I'm afraid - not much to see outside the frame!

> I like the red/green duality.

Yes, I had to color the strands differently, they looked like chains otherwise.
Red and green seemed appropriate given the blue background.

> Have the red one be a dry, hot dessicated region, and the green one be lush
> with vegetation.   Do something to add things to the upper horizontal parts.
> Ice, fire, plants, water....  One tech, on primitive / luddite?

Steady on, I'll be at it until 2024!

> Milla Jovovitch?

Now we're talking. Anyone got a suitable Poser model? And some zombies of
course!


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 2 Jan 2023 21:30:00
Message: <web.63b392c353014cd81f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> > Have the red one be a dry, hot dessicated region, and the green one be lush
> > with vegetation.   Do something to add things to the upper horizontal parts.
> > Ice, fire, plants, water....  One tech, on primitive / luddite?
>
> Steady on, I'll be at it until 2024!

You need things to keep you busy.   I'm happy to help.  :D


> > Milla Jovovitch?
>
> Now we're talking. Anyone got a suitable Poser model? And some zombies of
> course!

(not gonna argue with that... but:)

I was thinking building a 3rd strand to the helix, Fifth Element style.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=milla+jovovitch+%223d+model%22&source=web


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 3 Jan 2023 00:55:00
Message: <web.63b3c2f453014cd8a65171949334df62@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Update rendered.



Much more dramatic!


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: Voronoi helices
Date: 3 Jan 2023 01:00:00
Message: <web.63b3c36853014cd8a65171949334df62@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Maybe add some lights in the hollow-looking dark greebles so that the helices
> look occupied.  "Helixworld", anyone?
>
> Have the red one be a dry, hot dessicated region, and the green one be lush with
> vegetation.   Do something to add things to the upper horizontal parts.  Ice,
> fire, plants, water....  One tech, on primitive / luddite?
>
> Dueling worlds?   Symbiosis?   One parasitizes the other?  Electrical/magnetic
> polarity?  Milla Jovovitch?
>
> Some periodic pulse running up/down each/both helices?



Now those are some serious suggestions!


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.