POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Voronoi helices : Voronoi helices Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:51:12 EDT (-0400)
  Voronoi helices
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 Jan 2023 14:40:00
Message: <web.63b3328a6bf4f197b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
Happy New Year all.

One of the outputs from my voronoi cell generator is an .inc file containing an
array of cells, each cell an array of faces, each face an array of points. A
couple of years ago I wrote a suite of polygon util macros, and a simple polygon
greebler, which all use an array of points as their primary polygon type. I have
therefore been trying to greeble the voronoi cells.

The greebler parameters are complicated (I ended up passing parameters to the
macros in arrays for brevity's sake), and the greebler will happily produce
inverted nonsense if any parameters are inappropriate, but with a bit of
juggling I've had some success.

Here's the current state of the scene. It renders in about an hour in UberPOV,
with an 8-minute parse due to the greebling. There are some gymnastics to avoid
greebling any faces blocked by neighbouring cells, and I've limited the greebles
to one level of subdivision. Most of my time was spent fiddling with the media
and fog. I'm not sure if I'm done yet - I feel there's something missing that I
can't put my finger on, so any suggestions or feedback would be gratefully
received!

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: