POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mountain forest Server Time
17 Oct 2021 20:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  mountain forest (Message 1 to 10 of 16)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Norbert Kern
Subject: mountain forest
Date: 18 Jun 2021 10:20:00
Message: <web.60ccaaca464f7f94d81232a3b7ae6630@news.povray.org>
Hi,

when I was young I hiked in the mountains (austria I believe) and found a nice
spot with a small creek. I remember this place fairly well.

Here is an adaptation - as in my last images I used a large amount of different
meshes (> 110), resulting in a memory usage of more than 22 GB.

Happy rendering,
Norbert Kern


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'mountain_forest.jpg' (840 KB)

Preview of image 'mountain_forest.jpg'
mountain_forest.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 18 Jun 2021 10:55:56
Message: <60ccb3fc$1@news.povray.org>
Op 18-6-2021 om 16:16 schreef Norbert Kern:
> Hi,
> 
> when I was young I hiked in the mountains (austria I believe) and found a nice
> spot with a small creek. I remember this place fairly well.
> 
> Here is an adaptation - as in my last images I used a large amount of different
> meshes (> 110), resulting in a memory usage of more than 22 GB.
> 
> Happy rendering,
> Norbert Kern
> 

The Master did it again.

What can I say? It is the kind of scene we would like to emulate but 
somehow we always stay far behind. Very inspiring indeed.

The brook's water is very well done. I guess the surface is one of the 
many meshes? with the proper media of course.

These kind of landscapes are your trademark without any doubt.

What I do doubt however, is whether I could manage a 22 GB memory usage 
on my systems (for rendering the scene?)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 18 Jun 2021 13:10:00
Message: <web.60ccd3227ebac2dbd81232a3b7ae6630@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> The Master did it again.
>
> What can I say? It is the kind of scene we would like to emulate but
> somehow we always stay far behind. Very inspiring indeed.
>
> The brook's water is very well done. I guess the surface is one of the
> many meshes? with the proper media of course.
>
> These kind of landscapes are your trademark without any doubt.
>
> What I do doubt however, is whether I could manage a 22 GB memory usage
> on my systems (for rendering the scene?)
>
> --
> Thomas


Thanks Thomas,
water is a mesh indeed, but it doesn't look very special. I think a heightfield
made with an averaged wrinkles / rigded_mf pattern could do it too.
The water material is simple -
texture {
        pigment {color rgbt <0.25,0.35,0.2,1>}
        normal {
                average
                normal_map {
                        [1      wrinkles 0.04 scale 50]
                        [1      granite 0.01 scale 0.5]
                        [1      bumps 0.14 warp {turbulence 1} scale 0.03]
                        [1      bumps 0.1 warp {turbulence 0.5} scale 0.0003]
                }
        }
        finish {
                ambient 0
                diffuse 0.3
                reflection {0.03, 1 fresnel on metallic 0.3}
                specular 5
                roughness 0.003
        }
}
interior {
        ior 1.33
        caustics 2
        fade_distance 0.4
        fade_power 1001
        fade_color <0.5,0.7,0.4>
}

Starting point of the image was a 76 MB obj file with stones and water.
I split it in 7 parts and used the displacement function of Poseray. In the end
I had 7 large meshes (> 1.1 GB in sum).


Norbert


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'mountain_forest_s.jpg' (580 KB)

Preview of image 'mountain_forest_s.jpg'
mountain_forest_s.jpg


 

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 18 Jun 2021 16:37:46
Message: <60cd041a$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/18/2021 10:16 AM, Norbert Kern wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> when I was young I hiked in the mountains (austria I believe) and found a nice
> spot with a small creek. I remember this place fairly well.
> 
> Here is an adaptation - as in my last images I used a large amount of different
> meshes (> 110), resulting in a memory usage of more than 22 GB.
> 
> Happy rendering,
> Norbert Kern
> 


Oh, wow, that's gorgeous.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 18 Jun 2021 21:15:00
Message: <web.60cd44997ebac2dba3e088d5e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I was young I hiked in the mountains (austria I believe) and found a nice
> spot with a small creek. I remember this place fairly well.
>
> Here is an adaptation - as in my last images I used a large amount of different
> meshes (> 110), resulting in a memory usage of more than 22 GB.
>
> Happy rendering,
> Norbert Kern

Gorgeous as usual !

Shall we try once again to guess how many animals are hidden there ? ;-)

Can I also ask how you've made or where you've got the meshes for the rocks ?
Those look extremely realistic.

Pascal


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 19 Jun 2021 02:42:05
Message: <60cd91bd$1@news.povray.org>
Op 18/06/2021 om 19:08 schreef Norbert Kern:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> 
>> The Master did it again.
>>
>> What can I say? It is the kind of scene we would like to emulate but
>> somehow we always stay far behind. Very inspiring indeed.
>>
>> The brook's water is very well done. I guess the surface is one of the
>> many meshes? with the proper media of course.
>>
>> These kind of landscapes are your trademark without any doubt.
>>
>> What I do doubt however, is whether I could manage a 22 GB memory usage
>> on my systems (for rendering the scene?)
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> 
> Thanks Thomas,
> water is a mesh indeed, but it doesn't look very special. I think a heightfield
> made with an averaged wrinkles / rigded_mf pattern could do it too.

Well, it is perfectly doing its job.

> The water material is simple -
> texture {
>          pigment {color rgbt <0.25,0.35,0.2,1>}
>          normal {
>                  average
>                  normal_map {
>                          [1      wrinkles 0.04 scale 50]
>                          [1      granite 0.01 scale 0.5]
>                          [1      bumps 0.14 warp {turbulence 1} scale 0.03]
>                          [1      bumps 0.1 warp {turbulence 0.5} scale 0.0003]
>                  }
>          }
>          finish {
>                  ambient 0
>                  diffuse 0.3
>                  reflection {0.03, 1 fresnel on metallic 0.3}
>                  specular 5
>                  roughness 0.003
>          }
> }
> interior {
>          ior 1.33
>          caustics 2
>          fade_distance 0.4
>          fade_power 1001
>          fade_color <0.5,0.7,0.4>
> }
> 
I notice that you use /some/ color in the rgbt of the water, despite a 
transmit of 1. Personally, I have not noticed this approach did add 
anything (I may be wrong) and simply use  rgbt 1, in general. Using 
'filter' would be a different matter of course.

> Starting point of the image was a 76 MB obj file with stones and water.
> I split it in 7 parts and used the displacement function of Poseray. In the end
> I had 7 large meshes (> 1.1 GB in sum).
> 
Very good. I am increasingly using the displacement function of Poseray. 
It does not get all the attention that it merits.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 19 Jun 2021 09:45:00
Message: <web.60cdf4a57ebac2dbd81232a3b7ae6630@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> I notice that you use /some/ color in the rgbt of the water, despite a
> transmit of 1. Personally, I have not noticed this approach did add
> anything (I may be wrong) and simply use  rgbt 1, in general. Using
> 'filter' would be a different matter of course.

I am lazy sometimes - here I started with a transmit value of 0.85 and it ended
as 1 after some trials. For a reason I don't remember I set reflection with
metallic 0.3, so the color isn't completely useless.

> Very good. I am increasingly using the displacement function of Poseray.
> It does not get all the attention that it merits.

That's totally true!


Norbert


Post a reply to this message

From: Norbert Kern
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 19 Jun 2021 10:35:00
Message: <web.60ce00077ebac2dbd81232a3b7ae6630@news.povray.org>
"BayashiPascal" <bai### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> Gorgeous as usual !
>
> Shall we try once again to guess how many animals are hidden there ? ;-)
>
> Can I also ask how you've made or where you've got the meshes for the rocks ?
> Those look extremely realistic.
>
> Pascal


Thank you.

There are only 4 animal types - fishes, lizard, deer and a peregrine falcon.

Many meshes are Daz3D files -
https://www.daz3d.com/rock-collection-real-world-stones
https://www.daz3d.com/stones-and-structures
https://www.daz3d.com/misty-river-gorge

It's much cheaper than my investments in plant collections 20 years before...


Norbert


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 19 Jun 2021 11:01:45
Message: <60ce06d9$1@news.povray.org>
Op 19-6-2021 om 15:44 schreef Norbert Kern:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> 
>> I notice that you use /some/ color in the rgbt of the water, despite a
>> transmit of 1. Personally, I have not noticed this approach did add
>> anything (I may be wrong) and simply use  rgbt 1, in general. Using
>> 'filter' would be a different matter of course.
> 
> I am lazy sometimes - here I started with a transmit value of 0.85 and it ended
> as 1 after some trials. For a reason I don't remember I set reflection with
> metallic 0.3, so the color isn't completely useless.
> 
Hmmm. That last is an interesting idea I was not aware of. I need to 
investigate those implications (as also the filter influence, when I 
find some time...).

>> Very good. I am increasingly using the displacement function of Poseray.
>> It does not get all the attention that it merits.
> 
> That's totally true!
> 
I have done some testing in the past. I shall try to dig them up and 
post them, especially as a showcase for its possibilities. Your river 
bottom is an excellent example indeed.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: mountain forest
Date: 20 Jun 2021 00:45:00
Message: <web.60cec68f7ebac2db2636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I was young I hiked in the mountains (austria I believe) and found a nice
> spot with a small creek. I remember this place fairly well.
>
> Here is an adaptation - as in my last images I used a large amount of different
> meshes (> 110), resulting in a memory usage of more than 22 GB.
>
> Happy rendering,
> Norbert Kern

This reminds me of my childhood on a farm. I spent quite a bit of time swimming
and fishing in the creek. I saw a fairly large snake in the water once which I
was convinced must have been a water moccasin, and that was the last time I swam
in it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston
Suggested motto: "With POV-Ray anything is possible, but nothing is easy"


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.