POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mountain forest : Re: mountain forest Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:40:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mountain forest
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 18 Jun 2021 13:10:00
Message: <web.60ccd3227ebac2dbd81232a3b7ae6630@news.povray.org>

> The Master did it again.
>
> What can I say? It is the kind of scene we would like to emulate but
> somehow we always stay far behind. Very inspiring indeed.
>
> The brook's water is very well done. I guess the surface is one of the
> many meshes? with the proper media of course.
>
> These kind of landscapes are your trademark without any doubt.
>
> What I do doubt however, is whether I could manage a 22 GB memory usage
> on my systems (for rendering the scene?)
>
> --
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas,
water is a mesh indeed, but it doesn't look very special. I think a heightfield
made with an averaged wrinkles / rigded_mf pattern could do it too.
The water material is simple -
texture {
        pigment {color rgbt <0.25,0.35,0.2,1>}
        normal {
                average
                normal_map {
                        [1      wrinkles 0.04 scale 50]
                        [1      granite 0.01 scale 0.5]
                        [1      bumps 0.14 warp {turbulence 1} scale 0.03]
                        [1      bumps 0.1 warp {turbulence 0.5} scale 0.0003]
                }
        }
        finish {
                ambient 0
                diffuse 0.3
                reflection {0.03, 1 fresnel on metallic 0.3}
                specular 5
                roughness 0.003
        }
}
interior {
        ior 1.33
        caustics 2
        fade_distance 0.4
        fade_power 1001
        fade_color <0.5,0.7,0.4>
}

Starting point of the image was a 76 MB obj file with stones and water.
I split it in 7 parts and used the displacement function of Poseray. In the end
I had 7 large meshes (> 1.1 GB in sum).

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mountain_forest_s.jpg' (580 KB)

Preview of image 'mountain_forest_s.jpg'
mountain_forest_s.jpg