POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wood_mannequin.png Server Time
7 Dec 2023 15:04:50 EST (-0500)
  wood_mannequin.png (Message 1 to 10 of 23)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Mike Miller
Subject: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 16 Apr 2023 23:55:00
Message: <web.643cc28c3efbac0e59197626dabc9342@news.povray.org>
Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
Miller


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'wood_mannequin.png' (1601 KB)

Preview of image 'wood_mannequin.png'
wood_mannequin.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 17 Apr 2023 02:03:57
Message: <643ce14d$1@news.povray.org>
Op 17/04/2023 om 05:52 schreef Mike Miller:
> Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
> posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
> arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
> additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
> Miller

You are stirring old memories... I built one some twenty or more years 
ago, using Moray, in order to learn about inverse kinematics. No idea 
where the little critter is hiding now... :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 17 Apr 2023 02:35:00
Message: <web.643ce83fd981b0ad59197626dabc9342@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 17/04/2023 om 05:52 schreef Mike Miller:
> > Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
> > posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
> > arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
> > additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
> > Miller
>
> You are stirring old memories... I built one some twenty or more years
> ago, using Moray, in order to learn about inverse kinematics. No idea
> where the little critter is hiding now... :-)
>
> --
> Thomas


I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.
:)

I'm using a simple forward method with parent/child unions. I modeled this
yesterday day and started to write the rotates to pose this into my scene ...it
got more complicated today when I decided to control all the joins. haha.
Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 17 Apr 2023 02:45:00
Message: <web.643cea03d981b0ad4301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> >  ...
> I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
> in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
> restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.

<https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3CXnsA9AB7C841FAFAseed7%40news.povray.org%3E/>

user 'ingo' did nice stuff on IK (FABRIK algo).


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Colin Fleming
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 17 Apr 2023 19:55:00
Message: <web.643ddb3dd981b0adb066d58e93be1c3d@news.povray.org>
"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> > Op 17/04/2023 om 05:52 schreef Mike Miller:
> > > Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
> > > posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
> > > arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
> > > additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
> > > Miller
> >
> > You are stirring old memories... I built one some twenty or more years
> > ago, using Moray, in order to learn about inverse kinematics. No idea
> > where the little critter is hiding now... :-)
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
>
> I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
> in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
> restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.
> :)
>
> I'm using a simple forward method with parent/child unions. I modeled this
> yesterday day and started to write the rotates to pose this into my scene ...it
> got more complicated today when I decided to control all the joins. haha.
> Mike

Hi Mike (and everyone),

Fabien Mosen created a mannequin image for the IRTC back in 1998:

https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.jpg
https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.txt
https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.zip


Colin.


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 17 Apr 2023 21:25:01
Message: <web.643df109d981b0ad59197626dabc9342@news.povray.org>
"Colin Fleming" <Colin Fleming> wrote:
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> > > Op 17/04/2023 om 05:52 schreef Mike Miller:
> > > > Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
> > > > posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
> > > > arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
> > > > additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
> > > > Miller
> > >
> > > You are stirring old memories... I built one some twenty or more years
> > > ago, using Moray, in order to learn about inverse kinematics. No idea
> > > where the little critter is hiding now... :-)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas
> >
> >
> > I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
> > in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
> > restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.
> > :)
> >
> > I'm using a simple forward method with parent/child unions. I modeled this
> > yesterday day and started to write the rotates to pose this into my scene ...it
> > got more complicated today when I decided to control all the joins. haha.
> > Mike
>
> Hi Mike (and everyone),
>
> Fabien Mosen created a mannequin image for the IRTC back in 1998:
>
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.jpg
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.txt
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.zip
>
>
> Colin.


Nice, thanks. I have to take a peek at his code. It looks very close to the same
wood mannequin I have beside me. Don't have the female version. I just added the
screws at the ball joints. My physical mannequin has brass screws.
Mike.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'workbench8.png' (4515 KB)

Preview of image 'workbench8.png'
workbench8.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 18 Apr 2023 11:35:22
Message: <643eb8ba$1@news.povray.org>
Op 17-4-2023 om 08:41 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>   ...
>> I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
>> in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
>> restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.
> 
I still have the files. The problem - as far as I can judge at this 
stage - is that the mannequin needs Moray for posing and moving the 
different parts, after which it is exported to a POV-Ray file to be 
included in a scene. That was how it worked at the time. Possibly I 
would need now to rework such a POV-Ray include into macros to make it 
work from there. Not sure, and unfortunately I have little time to 
plunge deeper in the matter at present. On hold for now, but who knows...?

>
<https://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3CXnsA9AB7C841FAFAseed7%40news.povray.org%3E/>
> 
> user 'ingo' did nice stuff on IK (FABRIK algo).
> 
That is very true.
I got however a warning by Malwarebyte about a trojan at the site Ingo 
mentioned in the threat (https://chiselapp.com/....) in 2018. Real or 
false positive? I did not dare to go further. (I have not yet checked if 
I have a copy on my other laptop though).

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 18 Apr 2023 12:45:00
Message: <web.643ec8ead981b0ad4301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 17-4-2023 om 08:41 schreef jr:
> > user 'ingo' did nice stuff on IK (FABRIK algo).
> That is very true.
> I got however a warning by Malwarebyte about a trojan at the site Ingo
> mentioned in the threat (https://chiselapp.com/....) in 2018. Real or
> false positive? I did not dare to go further. (I have not yet checked if
> I have a copy on my other laptop though).

have not heard of, nor had, problems with chiselapp, so far (fingers crossed
:-)); fwiw, for a while until last month, the private SSH key for the github
site was available "in public", worth bearing in mind.


regards, jr


Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 18 Apr 2023 13:50:00
Message: <web.643ed815d981b0ad17bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> I got however a warning by Malwarebyte about a trojan at the site Ingo
> mentioned in the threat (https://chiselapp.com/....) in 2018. Real or
> false positive? I did not dare to go further. (I have not yet checked if
> I have a copy on my other laptop though).

Don't know what happened to that site, at some point I stopped using it.

The IK I've never finished. There is something wrong I couldn't fix, don't even
remember what. If anyone is interested in it in its current state I can zip
something up and put it in binaries group.

Regarding mannequins, there is also an ancient Japanese one. I posted it once to
one of the binaries groups so it wouldn't get lost. It is lady.inc by Yasunari
Iwanaga. I could not find it with google.

ingo


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: wood_mannequin.png
Date: 19 Apr 2023 14:45:00
Message: <web.64403627d981b0ad59197626dabc9342@news.povray.org>
"Colin Fleming" <Colin Fleming> wrote:
> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> > > Op 17/04/2023 om 05:52 schreef Mike Miller:
> > > > Rendering of a poseable wood mannequin. Modeled for my Jack/workbench scene. I
> > > > posted the scene file. Most pivots are programmed with 2 rotations. The upper
> > > > arm could use an additional y rotation. The include file could use some
> > > > additional commenting and poses. Might try to work out a run sequence.
> > > > Miller
> > >
> > > You are stirring old memories... I built one some twenty or more years
> > > ago, using Moray, in order to learn about inverse kinematics. No idea
> > > where the little critter is hiding now... :-)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas
> >
> >
> > I would love to see it. Inverse kinematics would be the way to go. I've used it
> > in Max - it has an 'end effector' that pushes the links, but required rotation
> > restriction on all the joins. Beyond my programming skills. Share if you find.
> > :)
> >
> > I'm using a simple forward method with parent/child unions. I modeled this
> > yesterday day and started to write the rotates to pose this into my scene ...it
> > got more complicated today when I decided to control all the joins. haha.
> > Mike
>
> Hi Mike (and everyone),
>
> Fabien Mosen created a mannequin image for the IRTC back in 1998:
>
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.jpg
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.txt
> https://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/fmenc.zip
>
>
> Colin.


Thanks Colin. I've pulled in the files. Cool that most the mannequin forms are
modeled with a sphere/cylinder blob pairing.
Mike.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.