POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A little study in photons Server Time
9 Dec 2021 07:53:27 EST (-0500)
  A little study in photons (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: MichaelJF
Subject: A little study in photons
Date: 25 Oct 2021 02:49:38
Message: <61765382@news.povray.org>
While watching a documentation about Zanzibar, I noticed a short beach 
scene. In the foreground the sea water was invisible completely. Only 
caustics indicated that there was water above the ground. So I played a 
little bit with photons to model this observation.

I used and modified slightly some resources given by others:
Water by Jaime Vives Piqueres, sea material by Sean Day (IRTC June 2005, 
wreck), hight\_field by Roman Reiner (IRTC February 2006, Firelake), 
palms from Tomtree by Tom Aust and Genady Obukhov (nowadays available 
via the wayback machine only) and Xfrog.

The dugout trimaran I dugged out off a cylinder in Wings 3D.

Enjoy and best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'zanzibarbeach_1920.jpg' (679 KB)

Preview of image 'zanzibarbeach_1920.jpg'
zanzibarbeach_1920.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 25 Oct 2021 04:16:16
Message: <617667d0$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/10/2021 om 08:49 schreef MichaelJF:
> While watching a documentation about Zanzibar, I noticed a short beach 
> scene. In the foreground the sea water was invisible completely. Only 
> caustics indicated that there was water above the ground. So I played a 
> little bit with photons to model this observation.
> 
> I used and modified slightly some resources given by others:
> Water by Jaime Vives Piqueres, sea material by Sean Day (IRTC June 2005, 
> wreck), hight\_field by Roman Reiner (IRTC February 2006, Firelake), 
> palms from Tomtree by Tom Aust and Genady Obukhov (nowadays available 
> via the wayback machine only) and Xfrog.
> 
> The dugout trimaran I dugged out off a cylinder in Wings 3D.
> 
> Enjoy and best regards
> Michael

Ah, yes! That is one of those todo things I have kept on the backburner 
for an indefinite time indeed. This is very well done Michael.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 25 Oct 2021 06:25:08
Message: <61768604$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/25/21 2:49 AM, MichaelJF wrote:
...
> 
> Enjoy and best regards
> Michael

Looks good - and warm. Starting to feel winter's dark approach here.

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 26 Oct 2021 03:58:15
Message: <6177b517$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.10.2021 um 10:16 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> 
> Ah, yes! That is one of those todo things I have kept on the backburner 
> for an indefinite time indeed. This is very well done Michael.
> 
Thanks for your praise! If you really will go for this task in the 
future: I had to use a very fine spacing to get more or less realistic 
reflective caustics at the boats, the refractive caustics at the sea 
bottom are cheaper. I ended up with some 8 hours of Photon-collection 
and a photon file of about 16 GB with 9 GB peak memory use during the 
photon collection. In the final rendering the peak memory use was 23 GB RAM.

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 26 Oct 2021 04:01:39
Message: <6177b5e3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.10.2021 um 12:25 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> On 10/25/21 2:49 AM, MichaelJF wrote:
> ...
>>
>> Enjoy and best regards
>> Michael
> 
> Looks good - and warm. Starting to feel winter's dark approach here.
> 
> Bill P.

Thanks for your praise too! And yes, 6 degrees south would be better now 
than 50 to the north, where I live.

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 26 Oct 2021 11:47:02
Message: <617822f6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26-10-2021 om 09:58 schreef MichaelJF:
> Thanks for your praise! If you really will go for this task in the 
> future: I had to use a very fine spacing to get more or less realistic 
> reflective caustics at the boats, 

Hm, yes, I can understand that. I had not realised it however.

> the refractive caustics at the sea 
> bottom are cheaper. I ended up with some 8 hours of Photon-collection 
> and a photon file of about 16 GB with 9 GB peak memory use during the 
> photon collection. In the final rendering the peak memory use was 23 GB 
> RAM.
> 

Right. That will mean some night's hours work for my machine. ;-)
It makes me think that my crystal needs better photons too...

Thanks for the clarification!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 30 Oct 2021 17:00:00
Message: <web.617db07f26c53c7b4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
A beauty! It looks photo-real, especially the lighting contrast (the dark
shadows under the trees look exactly like I would imagine, with my eyes being
more accustomed to the beach's relative brightness.) And the water caustics are
great! Ditto the overall composition.

My only nit-pic: The bits of foam(?) on the water look like they need some ...
dimensionality? Or something to give the tiny foam 'bubbles' more of an
interaction with the lighting. Like tiny glints, perhaps. Or smaller/granier
break-ups re: the warp/turbulence that's used (via the omega value? I've
forgotten which parameter to use for that.) Or perhaps even as separate very
short height_fields(!)

Otherwise, don't touch anything, as it's *really* stunning! This image is going
into my 'best POV-ray renders' folder. Thanks for sharing.


Post a reply to this message

From: s day
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 3 Nov 2021 05:25:00
Message: <web.6182555126c53c7b5dd63eba6a8f0b95@news.povray.org>
Hi Michael,

Wow, this is really great. I looked at it on my phone last night when I was
bored and just opened the image without reading the description fully. My first
thought was you had posted a photo of what you wanted to achieve in POV then I
read the description..

On a bigger screen today I can see that it is a render but still very
impressive.

Photons have always been a problem for me (mainly due to the fact it takes so
long to gather them then if I don't like the output you have wait again so I
normally give up.

Unless you tweaked my wreck texture the only criticism you have got so far about
the foam is my fault and one I wasn't happy with in the wreck image but couldn't
improve on ;-).


Sean


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: A little study in photons
Date: 3 Nov 2021 17:46:38
Message: <6183033e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.11.2021 um 10:24 schrieb s.day:
> Hi Michael,
> 
> Wow, this is really great. I looked at it on my phone last night when I was
> bored and just opened the image without reading the description fully. My first
> thought was you had posted a photo of what you wanted to achieve in POV then I
> read the description..
> 
> On a bigger screen today I can see that it is a render but still very
> impressive.
> 
> Photons have always been a problem for me (mainly due to the fact it takes so
> long to gather them then if I don't like the output you have wait again so I
> normally give up.
> 
> Unless you tweaked my wreck texture the only criticism you have got so far about
> the foam is my fault and one I wasn't happy with in the wreck image but couldn't
> improve on ;-).
> 
> 
> Sean
> 
Many thanks to you and Kenneth. Please apologize the delay, I visited my 
sister living some 600 km to the north of me (East Frisia) and was 
occupied with family issues the last days.

I was not sure about the foam. In a moment I thought to comment it out, 
in another I liked it. Finally I decided to keep it. It is not perfect, 
but a very good approximation IMO.

Best regards,
Michael


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.