POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A container freighter in space Server Time
30 Jul 2021 22:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  A container freighter in space (Message 2 to 11 of 11)  
<<< Previous 1 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 4 Jan 2021 02:42:34
Message: <5ff2c6ea$1@news.povray.org>
Op 04/01/2021 om 02:01 schreef Hj. Malthaner:
> Another element for my very own dream world. A container freighter in 
> space. I still struggle to design real cool spaceships like shown in 
> movies or TV shows at times. I seem to lack some understanding there.
> 

Maybe, but these look very functional, as all freighters should look 
imo. So, I suggest you keep on this track. Don't underestimate your own 
vision. Movies/TV spaceships may look gorgeous but would be totally 
unpractical or simply stupid if used at all.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 4 Jan 2021 05:20:01
Message: <web.5ff2eb33a05ca7816396ca3e0@news.povray.org>
They already look interesting, and I see on your website you already have
gathered a significant fleet ! :-) Just keep dreaming, building and improving
them little by little and you'll find your own style.
It remind me of a spaceship I did and posted here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.55b0f51428810e2d92c07c610%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=432346
&toff=750
The shape is relatively simple but I've used procedural generation to cover it
with many details and break symmetry to make it more "real". May be you can use
the same technique on your spaceships ?

Pascal


"Hj. Malthaner" <han### [at] nospamgmxde> wrote:
> Another element for my very own dream world. A container freighter in
> space. I still struggle to design real cool spaceships like shown in
> movies or TV shows at times. I seem to lack some understanding there.
>
> --
> Some of my PovRay works:
> https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D


Post a reply to this message

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 4 Jan 2021 18:12:04
Message: <5ff3a0c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/4/21 11:17 AM, BayashiPascal wrote:

> It remind me of a spaceship I did and posted here:
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.55b0f51428810e2d92c07c610%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=432346
> &toff=750
> The shape is relatively simple but I've used procedural generation to cover it
> with many details and break symmetry to make it more "real". May be you can use
> the same technique on your spaceships ?

That looks quite interesting indeed. It has just that sort of detail 
that my model miss. The red-white striped airlock, the pipes structures 
outside, more angular faces and structures overall. Also some patterns 
that seem to be image maps? At least I wouldn't know how to do them 
proceduraly with povray. I don't mean the logos on the weapon turrets 
but the box-and-lines structures on the hull. How did you make those?

Are the pipes also proceduraly generated?

-- 
Hajo


Post a reply to this message

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 4 Jan 2021 18:19:12
Message: <5ff3a270$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/4/21 8:42 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 04/01/2021 om 02:01 schreef Hj. Malthaner:
>> Another element for my very own dream world. A container freighter in 
>> space. I still struggle to design real cool spaceships like shown in 
>> movies or TV shows at times. I seem to lack some understanding there.
>>
> 
> Maybe, but these look very functional, as all freighters should look 
> imo. So, I suggest you keep on this track. Don't underestimate your own 
> vision. Movies/TV spaceships may look gorgeous but would be totally 
> unpractical or simply stupid if used at all.

Yes, from the point to minimize the radar echo to the idea to have a 
good ratio of volume for machinery to hull (vulnerable), there is much 
shown that misses technical justification. Still these designers have 
some creativity I'd like to have as well.

For the planned role to become element of larger scenes this model 
surely will do. For more prominent ships I still will have to work on my 
design skills.

I think I need to make some sort of macro so I can pass sets of 
containers or other cargo elements to the ship model.

Thanks for the feedback!

-- 
Hajo


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 4 Jan 2021 23:40:00
Message: <web.5ff3ecd0a05ca781b7a21cc30@news.povray.org>
> How did you make those?

I'll dig into my backups and come back to you with the code soon...


"Hj. Malthaner" <han### [at] nospamgmxde> wrote:
> On 1/4/21 11:17 AM, BayashiPascal wrote:
>
> > It remind me of a spaceship I did and posted here:
> >
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.55b0f51428810e2d92c07c610%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=43
2346
> > &toff=750
> > The shape is relatively simple but I've used procedural generation to cover it
> > with many details and break symmetry to make it more "real". May be you can use
> > the same technique on your spaceships ?
>
> That looks quite interesting indeed. It has just that sort of detail
> that my model miss. The red-white striped airlock, the pipes structures
> outside, more angular faces and structures overall. Also some patterns
> that seem to be image maps? At least I wouldn't know how to do them
> proceduraly with povray. I don't mean the logos on the weapon turrets
> but the box-and-lines structures on the hull. How did you make those?
>
> Are the pipes also proceduraly generated?
>
> --
> Hajo


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 5 Jan 2021 02:52:53
Message: <5ff41ad5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 04/01/2021 om 11:17 schreef BayashiPascal:
> They already look interesting, and I see on your website you already have
> gathered a significant fleet ! :-) Just keep dreaming, building and improving
> them little by little and you'll find your own style.
> It remind me of a spaceship I did and posted here:
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.55b0f51428810e2d92c07c610%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=432346
> &toff=750
> The shape is relatively simple but I've used procedural generation to cover it
> with many details and break symmetry to make it more "real". May be you can use
> the same technique on your spaceships ?
> 
> Pascal
> 
> 
> "Hj. Malthaner" <han### [at] nospamgmxde> wrote:
>> Another element for my very own dream world. A container freighter in
>> space. I still struggle to design real cool spaceships like shown in
>> movies or TV shows at times. I seem to lack some understanding there.
>>
>> --
>> Some of my PovRay works:
>> https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D
> 
> 
> 

I agree with Pascal. You could also search the pov newsgroups for 
"greebles" :-)  There has been a lot written about that technique, some 
quite  fascinating. Hint: look for Zeger Knaepen.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 5 Jan 2021 16:14:24
Message: <5ff4d6b0$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/5/21 8:52 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> 
> I agree with Pascal. You could also search the pov newsgroups for 



A good keyword, thank you! I had not known this term before.

And the search revealed some very interesting images. Actually I seem to 
have used a similar macro of my own to produce simple cityscapes.

With some luck I can adjust my macro to produce something similar. 
Funnily, I had been trying to use my cityscape macro on an older 
spaceship project, but render times were horrible, and I had abandoned 
the idea.

So it seems the idea was right but my implementation was bad.

Thanks again! With some luck this will be pretty cool in the end.

-- 
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D


Post a reply to this message

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 5 Jan 2021 17:12:05
Message: <5ff4e435@news.povray.org>
On 1/4/21 2:01 AM, Hj. Malthaner wrote:
> Another element for my very own dream world. A container freighter in 
> space.

Now with two pluggable container types, normal containers and gas tanks.

-- 
Some of my PovRay works:
https://www.deviantart.com/antarasol/gallery/42758766/3D


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'container_freighter_3c.jpg' (631 KB)

Preview of image 'container_freighter_3c.jpg'
container_freighter_3c.jpg


 

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 6 Jan 2021 05:40:01
Message: <web.5ff59292a05ca7816396ca3e0@news.povray.org>
I've attached a zip file with the code I used and a minimal example on how to
use it. That's far from readable and I don't have time to help much with that
but if you want to dive into it.


> Also some patterns that seem to be image maps?
> At least I wouldn't know how to do them
> proceduraly with povray. I don't mean the logos on the weapon turrets
> but the box-and-lines structures on the hull. How did you make those?
> Are the pipes also proceduraly generated?

The stains and damages on the hull are image maps made with Gimp. On top of it
the details have their own texture, partially picked up randomly in an array
provided by the user, partially procedurally generated.
The user specifes the coordinates of one plate, an array of texture, and an
array of parameters controlling the details on the plate. Then everything is
generated procedurally.
The whole ship is then just a union of plates with the appropriate coordinates,
textures and parameters...

Have fun !

Pascal


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spaceship.zip' (33 KB)

From: Hj  Malthaner
Subject: Re: A container freighter in space
Date: 7 Jan 2021 17:16:03
Message: <5ff78823$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/6/21 11:36 AM, BayashiPascal wrote:
> I've attached a zip file with the code I used and a minimal example on how to
> use it. That's far from readable and I don't have time to help much with that
> but if you want to dive into it.

Thanks you!

> The stains and damages on the hull are image maps made with Gimp. On top of it
> the details have their own texture, partially picked up randomly in an array
> provided by the user, partially procedurally generated.
> The user specifes the coordinates of one plate, an array of texture, and an
> array of parameters controlling the details on the plate. Then everything is
> generated procedurally.
> The whole ship is then just a union of plates with the appropriate coordinates,
> textures and parameters...

Sounds very sophisticated and complex. Likely too complex for me ... but 
I need to take a better look. An interesting mix of human guidance and 
computer mixing used here!

-- 
Hajo


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 1 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.