POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Segmentation fault with animation of large image Server Time
17 May 2024 18:40:09 EDT (-0400)
  Segmentation fault with animation of large image (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Segmentation fault with animation of large image
Date: 28 Jan 2012 13:35:01
Message: <web.4f243f3ef56eaf9a78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
There are actually two issues here.  The first is that the output display does
not work if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720 pixels
high.  The output image file is correctly rendered, but the display remains
blank.  This occurs in openSUSE Linux 12.1, but not in Windows 7.

The second is that if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720
pixels high, animation fails with a segmentation fault during the second
rendered frame.  This happens after parsing is complete and the .pov-state file
is created.  The last message line is the "[Rendering...]" line.

On one occasion, POV-Ray hung, and I had to ctrl-Z kill -9 out of it.

On another occasion, instead of the segmentation fault, I got the message:

   povray: xcb_io.c:140: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `req ==
dpy->xcb->pending_requests' failed.
   Aborted

There is no crash when -D is used.

I have not run an animation this large in Windows, so I don't know if it's a
problem there.

Neither problem occurs in POV-Ray 3.6.1.

I used the following source code:

global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
light_source { <-1, 1, -1> * 1000, rgb 1 }
sphere { 2.5 * z, 1 pigment { red 1 } }

POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
RAM: 1GB
Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor

Post a reply to this message

Le 28/01/2012 19:32, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
> There are actually two issues here.  The first is that the output display does
> not work if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720 pixels
> high.  The output image file is correctly rendered, but the display remains
> blank.  This occurs in openSUSE Linux 12.1, but not in Windows 7.

I would challenge that, as my default render size used to be 1025 x
1025. But on Ubuntu.

What are your version of SDL library/ies ?

But to be fair, It might be an issue in 3.7RC3 and not anymore.
(also, see further)

> The second is that if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720
> pixels high, animation fails with a segmentation fault during the second
> rendered frame.  This happens after parsing is complete and the .pov-state file
> is created.  The last message line is the "[Rendering...]" line.

I can confirm that one, sort of: the windows being bigger than the
screen (including border), the animation segfaults at frame 2

If it can fit at 1:1, no problem.
If it cannot fit at 1:1, frame 2 get a segfault.

 povray +H2000 +W2000 +KI0 +KF1 +KFF10 +KFI0

> There is no crash when -D is used.

Yep, will attach some debugger on that code to find it.
Thanks for report, can you open an issue in bugs.povray.org, please ?

> I have not run an animation this large in Windows, so I don't know if it's a
> problem there.

Well, if someone can try that on Windows (animation, picture size bigger
in any dimensions, including both, than the available display)

> Neither problem occurs in POV-Ray 3.6.1.
>
> I used the following source code:
>
> global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
> light_source { <-1, 1, -1> * 1000, rgb 1 }
> sphere { 2.5 * z, 1 pigment { red 1 } }
>
> POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
> Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
> Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
> RAM: 1GB
> Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor

Hint... might be related to your display setting (1280x800...
1270x720... guess what are borders & decorations sizes... )

Post a reply to this message

Le 28/01/2012 19:54, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
> I can confirm that one, sort of: the windows being bigger than the
> screen (including border), the animation segfaults at frame 2
>
> If it can fit at 1:1, no problem.
> If it cannot fit at 1:1, frame 2 get a segfault.
>
>  povray +H2000 +W2000 +KI0 +KF1 +KFF10 +KFI0
>

>> > There is no crash when -D is used.
> Yep, will attach some debugger on that code to find it.

Well, issue is with m_PxCount... in unix/disp_sdl.cpp,
The UnixSDLDisplay::SetPixelScaled() function has it EMPTY on the second
frame of the animation.

That does not help to merge the new pixel in the mapped picture.

Now, to find where that nice vector get cleared... when the picture is
scaled.

Post a reply to this message