POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Segmentation fault with animation of large image : Segmentation fault with animation of large image Server Time
1 Jun 2024 12:50:33 EDT (-0400)
  Segmentation fault with animation of large image
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Jan 2012 13:35:01
Message: <web.4f243f3ef56eaf9a78641e0c0@news.povray.org>
There are actually two issues here.  The first is that the output display does
not work if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720 pixels
high.  The output image file is correctly rendered, but the display remains
blank.  This occurs in openSUSE Linux 12.1, but not in Windows 7.

The second is that if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720
pixels high, animation fails with a segmentation fault during the second
rendered frame.  This happens after parsing is complete and the .pov-state file
is created.  The last message line is the "[Rendering...]" line.

On one occasion, POV-Ray hung, and I had to ctrl-Z kill -9 out of it.

On another occasion, instead of the segmentation fault, I got the message:

   povray: xcb_io.c:140: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `req ==
dpy->xcb->pending_requests' failed.
   Aborted

There is no crash when -D is used.

I have not run an animation this large in Windows, so I don't know if it's a
problem there.

Neither problem occurs in POV-Ray 3.6.1.

I used the following source code:

global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
light_source { <-1, 1, -1> * 1000, rgb 1 }
sphere { 2.5 * z, 1 pigment { red 1 } }

POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
RAM: 1GB
Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor