POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Segmentation fault with animation of large image : Re: Segmentation fault with animation of large image Server Time
1 Jun 2024 11:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Segmentation fault with animation of large image
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Jan 2012 13:54:15
Message: <4f244457$1@news.povray.org>
Le 28/01/2012 19:32, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
> There are actually two issues here.  The first is that the output display does
> not work if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720 pixels
> high.  The output image file is correctly rendered, but the display remains
> blank.  This occurs in openSUSE Linux 12.1, but not in Windows 7.

I would challenge that, as my default render size used to be 1025 x
1025. But on Ubuntu.

What are your version of SDL library/ies ?

But to be fair, It might be an issue in 3.7RC3 and not anymore.
(also, see further)

> The second is that if the image is more than 1270 pixels wide or more than 720
> pixels high, animation fails with a segmentation fault during the second
> rendered frame.  This happens after parsing is complete and the .pov-state file
> is created.  The last message line is the "[Rendering...]" line.

I can confirm that one, sort of: the windows being bigger than the
screen (including border), the animation segfaults at frame 2

If it can fit at 1:1, no problem.
If it cannot fit at 1:1, frame 2 get a segfault.

 povray +H2000 +W2000 +KI0 +KF1 +KFF10 +KFI0

> There is no crash when -D is used.

Yep, will attach some debugger on that code to find it.
Thanks for report, can you open an issue in bugs.povray.org, please ?

> I have not run an animation this large in Windows, so I don't know if it's a
> problem there.

Well, if someone can try that on Windows (animation, picture size bigger
in any dimensions, including both, than the available display)

> Neither problem occurs in POV-Ray 3.6.1.
>
> I used the following source code:
>
> global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }
> light_source { <-1, 1, -1> * 1000, rgb 1 }
> sphere { 2.5 * z, 1 pigment { red 1 } }
>
> POV-Ray version: 3.7RC3
> Operating system: openSUSE Linux 12.1
> Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC (32 bits)
> RAM: 1GB
> Displays: 1280x800 built-in panel; 1680x1050 HP w2007 external monitor

Hint... might be related to your display setting (1280x800...
1270x720... guess what are borders & decorations sizes... )