POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Field rendering? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Field rendering? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Re: Field rendering?
Date: 19 Oct 2001 02:03:51
Message: <3BCFC1E8.529E28A2@geocities.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3bcdd1c3@news.povray.org> , "Vampyrium" <cyb### [at] hotmailcom>
> wrote:
>
> >   Field rendering should render alternate scanlines (odd and even fields) on
> > the SAME frame at DIFFERENT timepoints (at frame in-point and frame
> > mid-point)

[SNIP]

> Of course you need other software to do it, that is the whole point!  I am
> not aware of any external software that can handle an image file the way you
> expect POV-Ray to output it.  On the other hand, I know plenty of software
> that imports the output POV-Ray currently generates.

When I was working with video (U-matic, S-VHS and Digital Beta tape, CubiComp,
NuVista, Targa and other hardware, Picture Maker, Macromind3d, 3D-Studio,
Stratavision, Lightwave and other software), the kind of image Vamp mentioned was
the type of image we worked with.

I'll have to run POV through some checks to see exactly what it's doing... and
how it's output can be piped properly to broadcast. It could be as simple as
compositing frames from fields in post (which seems to be what Thorsten is
saying). IIRC, when I looked into this in 3.1, I said to myself something like
"oh, that's strange... hmmm.... Ah, I see. Still useful". Now I just have to
remember the details of all that.

In the meantime, here are a few quick links I found on google

http://www.mcqpro.com/html/FieldRendering.html

http://www.greatdv.com/video/fields.htm

http://www.adobe.com:80/support/techdocs/102b2.htm

Nice field diagrams: