POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Field rendering? : Re: Field rendering? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field rendering?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Oct 2001 04:52:06
Message: <3bd28cb6$3@news.povray.org>
In article <3BD1F27A.C6FF05FF@geocities.com> , "Jon A. Cruz"
<jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

> Well, OK. It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Using the 'field
> rendering' switch effectively changes POV-Ray from outputting frames to
> outputting fields. So in one sense it is technically accurate as to being a
> "field rendering" option. On the other hand, other 3D packages will still
> output the same number of files, but then go on to put two fields per file. So
> POV-Ray is different from those.

Yes, one has to double the number of steps by outputting twice as many
images...

BTW, when using VHS to record the output it is usually enough to render only
with about 256 pixels width and use simple smooth interpolation because VHS
has hardly more resolution and at it is hard to see the difference.  As for
SVHS, I only used to output to it once or twice (not for myself - I can't
afford SVHS VCRs) and with 384 pixels horizontal resolution I still got good
results.  Of course as I didn't try with 768 pixels in the first place, I
can't say if it would have been better*.

    Thorsten

* Using a Beige G3 with the full size video I/O board (there are two
versions and only the one with the HW DVD player supports full res output in
the first place!)

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde