POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug: select within select Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  bug: select within select (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: Re: bug: select within select
Date: 1 Oct 2001 20:26:41
Message: <CSbrJDAROQu7EwlA@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Thorsten Froehlich who wrote:
>In article <C5f### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
><mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:
>
>> I confirm the numbers, but I don't think it's anything to do with the
>> nesting of selects.
>>
>> If you change to noise generator 1, the numbers come out even. It looks
>> to me like there's a subtlety in noise type 3 that causes
>> f_noise3d(integer, integer, 0) to always be greater than 1/3. I really
>> don't see that as being a problem because you shouldn't really expect
>> noise3d to be a random number generator.
>
>Thank you for finding this!  So it is not a bug, but simply the wrong
>noise_generator.  There has a lot been written about the old/default noise
>generator's problems, and I guess this is one good example of them.

It's the NEW noise generator that is exhibiting the strange behaviour at
integer coordinates. The old noise generator that behaves sensibly in
this respect.

2.6.1: The default generator, type 3, is a completely new Perlin noise
function. You can also choose noise_generator 1, which behaves like the
noise in POV-Ray 3.1 and earlier.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure