POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug: select within select : Re: bug: select within select Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug: select within select
Date: 23 Oct 2001 06:54:41
Message: <jhhatt859rt4tadigbrfptpgt0u0g2sv4r@4ax.com>
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:35:59 +0100, Mike Williams <mik### [at] nospamplease>
wrote:

> Wasn't it W?odzimierz ABX Skiba who wrote:
> > sorry. it's macro from standard "math.inc"
>
> I knew that, but the documentation says
>
> "Interpolate(GC, GS, GE, TS, TE, Method). Interpolation macro...can
> someone explain this one?"
>
> The comments in math.inc aren't helpful either, but you seemed to be
> using it as if you had some idea what the parameters were for. The rest
> of us are rather in the dark.

Well, I missed note from doc and get it only with content of include
file. It looks very simple to me and I can explain a little. This
macro gets value (first arg) from range <global_start,global_end>.
Than it makes calculations to put it into another range
<target_start,target_end>. The way how it calculate depends on last
argument called Method. For Method=0 characteristic of calculation
looks like part of sinusoid. For Method=1 it simple linear
calculation. For Method>0 it goes with exponent.

Sample of use: Looking for smooth movement from one point to another
for animations you need only one line.
Result=Interpolate(clock,initial_clock,final_clock,StartPoint,EndPoint,0)

I suppose it is designed as macro (I think slower) becouse function
forbids use it with vectors and colors for target range.

To show characteristic of interpolations I made sample file I'll post
after moment to p.b-t.binaries. Feel free to use its output within doc
or as sample file or merge it with math.pov from incdemo.

ABX