POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Coridon Henshaw
Subject: Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights
Date: 4 Mar 2002 01:19:56
Message: <Xns91C7D8DD4C59csbhccse@204.213.191.226>
While finding new and better ways to make media explosions, I ran into a
serious in that scattering media objects cannot be illuminated by
shadowless lights or by lights used in a light_group.  While I know that
shadowless lights do some funny things, I tend to think that getting
ignored by media is a bit much, and that the light_group problem is a
blatant bug.

Example scene:
/*
  When rendered as is, the media is grey.  When rendered with light group
  and/or with shadowless enabled, the media will be black (unlit).
*/
camera {location z*3 look_at 0} plane {z,-5 pigment {checker rgb 1 rgb .3}
finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}}

//light_group {

sphere {0,1 hollow pigment {rgbf 1} interior {
    media {
        scattering {1, 8}
        density {spherical color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}}
}}}

light_source {<1e6,0,1e6> 1 /*shadowless*/}

//} // end brace for light_group

Post a reply to this message

In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226> , che### [at] sympaticoca
(Coridon Henshaw) wrote:

> While finding new and better ways to make media explosions, I ran into a
> serious in that scattering media objects cannot be illuminated by
> shadowless lights or by lights used in a light_group.  While I know that
> shadowless lights do some funny things, I tend to think that getting
> ignored by media is a bit much, and that the light_group problem is a
> blatant bug.

Could you check if this is or isn't the same as