POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Mr
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2017 or 2019
Date: 20 Jun 2021 09:30:00
Message: <web.60cf41c75784b3396adeaecb3f378f2@news.povray.org>
> Am 20.06.2021 um 12:29 schrieb Mr:
>
> > I'll close and re-popen the project and try harder to spot any information at
> > the step when I pick platform toolset v142.
>
> Could you have VS 2019 auto-convert the projects to toolset v142, save
> the resulting projects, and post some of them over on
> `povray.beta-test.binaries`?
>
> `povray.vcxproj` and `povbase.vcxproj` should be helpful. Maybe also
> `povray.sln`.
>
> > Could it be that some libraries had relative paths and then the Github system
> > not having the same reference point for relative paths ?
>
> No, I don't think that's it. My money is on some project setting that
> needs to be changed along with the toolset, that we don't account for.

Also take into consideration that I made all the updates that were suggested by
VS at its startup and there were a couple along the past year. Even right now
there is one pending saying version 16.10.2 is now available that I was about to
click.

I just attached to this reply the requested files since I don't see
povray.beta.test.binaries in the http interface to newsgroups.

I added a couple of files that had similar names but different suffixes.

I never actually saved the files but when I made the conversion the first time
it seems to have done so and remembered the toolset, never asking me again if I
wanted to convert files made from an older version.

Don't hesitate to ask whatever else may be needed, and to my private email also
if you feel it's irrelevant to newsgroups... though most of the times such a
public searchable record can be nice for ulterior use.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'vs2015_but_2019_really.7z.zip' (9 KB)

> > I'll close and re-popen the project and try harder to spot any information at
> > the step when I pick platform toolset v142.
>
> Could you have VS 2019 auto-convert the projects to toolset v142, save
> the resulting projects, and post some of them over on
> `povray.beta-test.binaries`?
>
> `povray.vcxproj` and `povbase.vcxproj` should be helpful. Maybe also
> `povray.sln`.
>
> > Could it be that some libraries had relative paths and then the Github system
> > not having the same reference point for relative paths ?
>
> No, I don't think that's it. My money is on some project setting that
> needs to be changed along with the toolset, that we don't account for.

Hi, since then, I tried compiling for some machine that had never been exposed
to POV and got the same error message ("Cannot find Home entry in registry"):
This is to be expected when I did not do the pre requisite step of installing
any version from any previous official installer first.

However this was on purpose, as I had hoped to ultimately operate the build and
missing details of its installation process from some other package build. So
having to install a pre built package prior to build the provided sources would
not be a possible hack.

Thus my question now is... Is there any Windows geared alternative procedure
where one can build pov from some readme, AND use it, even if it has never been
installed? Is it likely that the unix prebuild.sh / make install steps are not
yet mimicked under Windows but might be with the help of the git sh tool ?
(sorry if this last point makes no sense I'm trying guesses in the dark.)

Post a reply to this message