POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 : Re: Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:47:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual Studio 2017 or 2019
From: Mr
Date: 20 Dec 2021 09:45:00
Message: <web.61c095fc5784b33916086ed03f378f2@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > Thus my question now is... Is there any Windows geared alternative procedure
> > > where one can build pov from some readme, AND use it, even if it has never been
> > > installed?
> >
> > @Alessio Sangalli (as an alternative to running a VM):
> >
> > not certain about POV-Ray working without "installing", it does need its .inc
> > etc files.  to answer your question - yes, I found Cygwin works well under MS
> > Windows, and since that gives you a fairly complete UNIX-like environment, you
> > can do a regular install from source.
> > <https://www.cygwin.com/>
> >

> > regards, jr.
>
> My final goal is to have pov sources delivered along inside another (licence
> compatible) program and have both build at the same time on Windows or Linux
> without adding so many prerequestites. Using Cygwin is not an option for this,
> But I don't mind how long or convoluted the launching command could get... So on
> windows, after compiling in D:\pov\povray I try from command line:
>
> D:\pov\povray>.\windows\vs2015\bin64\pvengine64-avx
> +I.\distribution\scenes\advanced\grenadine.pov +L.\distribution\include
> +L.\distribution\scenes\advanced\grenadine /INSTALL
> D:\pov\povray\windows\vs2015\bin64 D:\pov\povray\distribution\include
>
> And still get the same message, so the registry key seem to be really the
> necessary bits are they or is it cmedit ?

I also tried adding the following as a *.reg file, but the result doesn't
change:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pov]
"(Default)"="POV-Ray.Scene"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Scene]
"(Default)"="POV-Ray scene source file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Scene\DefaultIcon]
"(Default)"="D:\pov\povray\distribution\platform-specific\windows\Icons\POV-Ray.Scene-XP.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Render]
"(Default)"="Render with POV-Ray 3.8"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Render\command]
"(Default)"="D:\pov\povray\windows\vs2015\bin64\pvengine64-avx.exe" /render "%1"