POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 : Re: Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:06:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual Studio 2017 or 2019
From: Mr
Date: 20 Dec 2021 03:50:00
Message: <web.61c042cc5784b33916086ed03f378f2@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Thus my question now is... Is there any Windows geared alternative procedure
> > where one can build pov from some readme, AND use it, even if it has never been
> > installed?
>
> @Alessio Sangalli (as an alternative to running a VM):
>
> not certain about POV-Ray working without "installing", it does need its .inc
> etc files.  to answer your question - yes, I found Cygwin works well under MS
> Windows, and since that gives you a fairly complete UNIX-like environment, you
> can do a regular install from source.
> <https://www.cygwin.com/>
>

> regards, jr.

My final goal is to have pov sources delivered along inside another (licence
compatible) program and have both build at the same time on Windows or Linux
without adding so many prerequestites. Using Cygwin is not an option for this,
But I don't mind how long or convoluted the launching command could get... So on
windows, after compiling in D:\pov\povray I try from command line:

D:\pov\povray>.\windows\vs2015\bin64\pvengine64-avx
+I.\distribution\scenes\advanced\grenadine.pov +L.\distribution\include
+L.\distribution\scenes\advanced\grenadine /INSTALL
D:\pov\povray\windows\vs2015\bin64 D:\pov\povray\distribution\include

And still get the same message, so the registry key seem to be really the
necessary bits are they or is it cmedit ?