POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: clipka
Subject: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released
Date: 19 Feb 2017 08:00:52
Message: <58a99704$1@news.povray.org>
Since the beans have been spilled already, it's no use denying it
anymore -- v3.7.1-beta.3 is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.3

Besides fixing a few bugs, this version should also improve performance
on 64-bit Windows machines over the previous beta -- especially if your
scene makes plenty use of noise and your CPU supports AVX2 and FMA3
(thanks to hand-optimized code courtesy of Intel); other scenes and CPUs
should also profit though.

Unfortunately this performance gain comes at the cost of dropping
support for Windows XP (and Windows Server 2003). In order to still be
able to provide some level of support for these legacy operating
systems, we have therefore decided to keep the 32-bit binaries
XP-compatible for now, which on the other hand means that users of later
32-bit Windows versions will miss out on the performance improvements.

Note that the choice between XP-compatibility and performance is a
matter of the build tool used (Visual Studio 2010 will generate
XP-compatible binaries, while Visual Studio 2015 will generate faster
ones), so 64-bit XP-compatible binaries /can/ still be built from the
source code, as can faster 32-bit binaries.

Post a reply to this message

On 2017-02-19 09:00 AM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Unfortunately this performance gain comes at the cost of dropping
> support for Windows XP (and Windows Server 2003). In order to still be
> able to provide some level of support for these legacy operating
> systems, we have therefore decided to keep the 32-bit binaries
> XP-compatible for now, which on the other hand means that users of later
> 32-bit Windows versions will miss out on the performance improvements.

Well, Microsoft has washed its hands of WinXP, so I don't see why new
POV-Ray versions should have to support it.

And if anyone out there is still using XP, you're a sitting duck for any
security holes that have opened up since 2014.

Post a reply to this message

On 2/19/2017 3:42 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2017-02-19 09:00 AM (-4), clipka wrote:
>> Unfortunately this performance gain comes at the cost of dropping
>> support for Windows XP (and Windows Server 2003). In order to still be
>> able to provide some level of support for these legacy operating
>> systems, we have therefore decided to keep the 32-bit binaries
>> XP-compatible for now, which on the other hand means that users of later
>> 32-bit Windows versions will miss out on the performance improvements.
>
> Well, Microsoft has washed its hands of WinXP, so I don't see why new
> POV-Ray versions should have to support it.

That is a fair point. Does PovRay run on a 16 bit OS like Win 3.1?

> And if anyone out there is still using XP, you're a sitting duck for any
> security holes that have opened up since 2014.

Only if it is connected to the internet. I can imagine someone keeping
an old machine as part of a home render farm. Rather than just scrapping it.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Am 19.02.2017 um 16:42 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> On 2017-02-19 09:00 AM (-4), clipka wrote:
>> Unfortunately this performance gain comes at the cost of dropping
>> support for Windows XP (and Windows Server 2003). In order to still be
>> able to provide some level of support for these legacy operating
>> systems, we have therefore decided to keep the 32-bit binaries
>> XP-compatible for now, which on the other hand means that users of later
>> 32-bit Windows versions will miss out on the performance improvements.
>
> Well, Microsoft has washed its hands of WinXP, so I don't see why new
> POV-Ray versions should have to support it.
>
> And if anyone out there is still using XP, you're a sitting duck for any
> security holes that have opened up since 2014.

Let's put it this way: As long as anyone posting on these newsgroups on
a regular basis is still using XP, I prefer to keep POV-Ray alive on
that operating system.

I'd think differently about any other application; but POV-Ray is one of
the few pieces of software that make sense to be installed on an old
shoe box in a corner, with a presumably equally old operating system.

Post a reply to this message