POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Feb 2017 00:15:00
Message: <web.58aa7acf48a761e6883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> Well, Microsoft has washed its hands of WinXP, so I don't see why new
> POV-Ray versions should have to support it.

I would still be using my 32-bit WinXP machine, if the motherboard hadn't died
six months ago (which I rather reluctantly had to replace with a used Win7
64-bit machine-- not Win10, which I didn't want.)

My reason for wanting to stick with XP? Stability. And familiarity. It's not
that I'm against upgrading to newer OS versions; it's just that the learning
curve 'gets in the way', so to speak. I would rather be *productive* on a
computer, instead of having to spend lots of time getting used to a new OS and
its quirks. Even Win7 is somewhat of a new learning curve, for me. I do miss my
XP machine.

That said, I do appreciate the ability to finally use a 64-bit version of
POV-Ray, as well as other apps that require such an OS (AND to finally have a
computer with more than one core!)

My own opinion is that there is still plenty of life left in older machines and
OS's. (I actually still have a Win98 machine(!)-- offline-- because, right now,
it's my only machine with Photoshop installed; an older version, but still quite
useful.)