POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:45:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released
From: clipka
Date: 19 Feb 2017 14:16:32
Message: <58a9ef10$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.02.2017 um 17:13 schrieb Stephen:
> On 2/19/2017 3:42 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> Well, Microsoft has washed its hands of WinXP, so I don't see why new
>> POV-Ray versions should have to support it.
>
> That is a fair point. Does PovRay run on a 16 bit OS like Win 3.1?

Apples and oranges.

Continuing support for 16-bit Windows 3.1 would have meant maintaining a
separate obsolete strain of POV-Ray (namely POV-Ray for DOS).

Continuing support for Windows XP is just a matter of retaining
compatibility with it in an actively maintained strain of POV-Ray
(namely POV-Ray for Win32).

If you want to draw any comparison, it might be more fitting to ask
about support for Windows 95 (or even Windows 3.1 with Win32s).

BTW, POV-Ray seems to have seen the following official major strains:

- POV-Ray for Amiga
- POV-Ray for DOS (and Windows 3.1 and OS/2)
- POV-Ray for Mac ("classic" Mac OS)
- POV-Ray for Unix (including Mac OS X)
- POV-Ray for Win32 (including its 64-bit variant)

Of these, the first three have been discontinued.