POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory Leak in SSE2 b3 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:23 EDT (-0400)
  Memory Leak in SSE2 b3 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Nathan Shomber
Subject: Memory Leak in SSE2 b3
Date: 4 May 2005 10:18:22
Message: <4278d9ae$1@news.povray.org>
I have a large scene file that causes a memory leak in the SSE2 version of
beta3.  The first rendering uses up to 300MB of memory which stays allocated
even when the render is done and I close the output window.  After the
second rendering, pvengin-sse32.exe has 470MB allocated.  I am rendering
using the standard ini file with "+fn +w800 +h600" as my options.

There is also a second issue that POV-Ray does not seem to give up when it
cannot allocate more memory.  When I ran my system out of memory running
POV-Ray, it just unallocates a chunk of 30MB or so then reallocates it in an
infinite loop.  When I clicked stop, POV-Ray took its time with the swap
file, but eventually stopped.  When I then clicked the close button (X in
top right), I got the error message posted in beta-test.binaries with this
subject.

I am working on isolating the problematic code.  It is a rather simple scene
with:
1) just a couple area lights unioned with media in a difference of cylinders
2) a LOT of cylinders unioned together with individual pigments made using
rand
3) some boxes.

If there is a known issue with any of these features, I will stop hunting
for the problem, otherwise, I will trim the scene to the minimum cause.

-Nathan

WinXP Pro SP2
1GB (2x512MB) RAM
Pentium 4M 2.2GHz